Have you ever bumped a target buck and still killed him that season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
comeback_kid

Re: Have you ever bumped a target buck and still killed him that season?

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:36 am

dan wrote:Sounds like your down because you bumped him? I take the opposite mindset. I get eyes on a buck and start to focus on him. I often bump my target buck before killing him. I start to break down the area and hop around till I get my chance. Seeing a shooter is a good thing, not bad...

So where does the idea come from that "once you bump are/busted by him, it'll be that much harder" ?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:24 am

Yes. 2 Years ago I bumped a buck and killed him that same day... I kicked him in the AM. In the PM I had circled around to an area where I suspected he ran off to hide out in and in he evening when he came out I was waiting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 pm

comeback_kid wrote:
dan wrote:Sounds like your down because you bumped him? I take the opposite mindset. I get eyes on a buck and start to focus on him. I often bump my target buck before killing him. I start to break down the area and hop around till I get my chance. Seeing a shooter is a good thing, not bad...

So where does the idea come from that "once you bump are/busted by him, it'll be that much harder" ?

It does get harder to kill him when he knows he is being hunted. But, I gotta know he is there to kill him. I narrow down and focus on bucks once I got a bead on them rather than tossing a big net. I throw hunts at a lot of areas trying to get a bead on a shooter. narrowing down the area, the woods, the section, helps me. And there is a confidence about seeing a shooter that puts it in your head that your getting close.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 am

My preferred plan is to slip an arrow in them first time I encounter them that season - reality and my stats indicates that "if it happens at all" it is usually later in the season after I have thrown several stand locations at them. To go after a specific buck on purposeis extremely hard and success rates onpublic landdoing so are not as high as one might be led to believe. Personally I feel it is the ultimate bow hunting challenge and it drives me. The more target bucks you can identify and learn, over numerous public land spots the greater the odds - but even then it is far harder then to just set a minimum for any buck that comes by to "become" a shooter. it takes a lot of dedication and time - something that I seem to struggle with more and more as my beard gets grayer.
Aaron1987
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaron.warbritton.3

Unread postby Aaron1987 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:12 am

We actually jumped a target buck last week while hunting public land in Missouri. He got up 10 feet from me like a rabbit out of a brush pile. Ran across the creek, turned around to check things out, and eventually just walked off the other direction. Hunted the same bed the very next night and he got up and came in. Just didn't set up close enough. Hung 100 yards from the bed. If we'd of been at 80 he'd of had an arrow in him. :oops:
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Killed a 130" muzzleloader buck back in 2012 that had been pushed from the gun groups all week including us. We saw him a couple times bust from the woods and stand way out in the field waiting for us to leave. Day later I setup where I figured he'd hole up on a farm that wasn't pushed that day and he came through 30 mins before dark

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”