Attitude

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Attitude

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 am

Dewey wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Stanley wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:I have slowly over the years have come to understand the importance of a positive attitude.
I am going to make a real controversial statement. I'm sure many will not agree and I'm totally OK with that. I have no real concrete evidence to prove this nor does anyone have proof of the opposite. I am not attempting to change anyone's beliefs. After I make this statement I will invite discussion... as long as you are positive and openminded. I think this is the most important tactic for killing monster bucks and again some will not agree. If there is interest, I will share info that I believe formed my feelings on this subject.

I believe that my attitude is the most important aspect of my success. Much more important that any tactic or deer knowledge.

As I write this I already believe I will be posing with a trophy buck this year. I don't know where, when, how, or why. I don't even give it much thought. I will be hunting north big woods and most of it will be without scouting (besides picking areas from maps) I have been successfully doing this for years.

Thoughts?

This is an interesting statement. It is good you think you will kill a trophy buck this year. My mindset is way different than yours. I won't predict that I will kill a big buck this year. In fact I'm kind of hoping I don't. I have had this mindset for the last 4 or 5 years now. I just don't care if I kill a big buck or not. I would almost rather get a good buck or two on camera than hang one. :think:

This doesn't mean I wont hunt to kill a big buck. I think this nonchalant attitude helps me more than hinders me. I kind of picked this up from a good friend of mine. About 7 years ago He told me, "I hope I don't kill a buck this year". I kind of thought he was nuts for saying this. The guy knocks down the biggest buck of his life. Two years later he tops that buck with a bigger buck, his best to date (he's killed a bunch of good bucks over the years).

I think he took all the pressure off himself, by dropping the I will attitude, replacing it with the I don't care attitude. It did work for him that is for sure. I also think it made him more selective. :think: I'm not saying the young hunter shouldn't have a positive attitude. I'm saying that positive attitude can add unnecessary pressure on him.

I used to get mad as hornet when I'd botch a good buck and not kill him. Now I just shrug it off, it just doesn't matter to me, if a good buck gets away. It could be that I'm satisfied with the results of my hunting career. If I kill a nice buck that's ok and if I don't that's ok too. I still enjoy the hunt. I like sound of the bluejays and the sight of the bluebirds. Will I kill a good buck this year? Don't rightly know, and don't rightly care. :think:

our mindsets are not all that much different. i dont understand it but the less i care about killing a big buck the more success i seem to have. i know that sounds strange but that has been the case. when i say i believe i will get one i believe it is because i dont really feel the need to HAVE to get one. i might not get one. the thought of getting skunked doesnt really bother me. i think that the lack of pressure to kill one is the proper mindset. pressure is a negative mind set. i have learned to set my goals and just let ot happen. at least i try to do that. lol

Most people don’t operate well under pressure. I think when people put to much pressure on themselves they make mistakes that severely hurt their success. A relaxed patient hunter I believe will function at a much higher level every time.

I think this is really honing in on things now. Operating things free and easy is the best way to take in the big picture and not be so focused on one piece you miss five others. I'm guessing in tracking, that's probably even more critical. Good stuff.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 am

trying to practice a good attitude can br the hardest thing we will ever try. thats why so few can do it. we all have doubts and limiting thoughts. one thing that i do that really helps me is to know that I ONLY HAVE TO WIN ONCE! I can go days without even seeing a deer in the big woods and believe me even the most seasoned veteran can be frustrated or have doubt. the thought of only having to win once really helps me to refocus.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 am

think of thoughts as seeds.
if you plant corn seeds what will grow?
if you keep planting seeds of doubt, lack, failure you will harvest a bumper crop!

emotions and feelings are the fertilizer.

if you are not having success, you need to check your mind garden. the solutions are there and nowhere else!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 am

if you blame things outside of you for your failures then you better not take credit for your successes.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:00 am

When I'm positive about something I'm relaxed. When I'm positive and relaxed, I'm focused. When I'm all three I can get in that famous "zone". I've found this true in athletics, hunting, in my work....really everything. I'm just better at life when I have a positive mindset. When im positive I'm more effective, plain and simple!
So yes! It sure as heck helps! The challenge is, how do I stay positive? Anyone know a good psychologist?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 am

magicman54494 wrote:think of thoughts as seeds.
if you plant corn seeds what will grow?
if you keep planting seeds of doubt, lack, failure you will harvest a bumper crop!

emotions and feelings are the fertilizer.

if you are not having success, you need to check your mind garden. the solutions are there and nowhere else!

I'm gonna lobby for a MagicMan emoji :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Worm82

Unread postby Worm82 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am

I believe attitude and time are very important.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”