Pressure with blackpowder season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Pressure with blackpowder season

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:51 am

With blackpowder season quickly approaching, I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on how much a gun shot will affect the deer's patterns? Assuming you don't have to track a deer a long ways and stomp through bedding areas, do you think it changes the other deer's patterns or they will return to normal soon after? It's obviously extra pressure, so just curious. Thanks.

Bigb
500 Club

Re: Pressure with blackpowder season

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:36 am

What state are you in? Illinois doesn't have its Muzzleloader season until December. Are you in Kansas? Thats the only state I know f in the midwest with an early muzzleloader season.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 am

The real question is how many guys partake in the hunt? I bow hunt during the youth season in wisconsin and have yet to see a gun hunter.

If you have a lot of people out doing it, hunt escape routes out of bedding, or hunt a safe area deer wouldn't normally go, but go to escape pressure. Think thick and nasty, and not neccessarily close to a food source. Places with the least amount of human intrusion possible.

If it is only a couple guys in the area and maybe a gun shot or two a day, I wouldn't change tactics. My area gets hammered with shots all year from bear hunters to small game and bird hunters. See deer just fine in areas these guys don't go.

Get away from the people, and you should be fine.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 am

Bigb wrote:What state are you in? Illinois doesn't have its Muzzleloader season until December. Are you in Kansas? Thats the only state I know f in the midwest with an early muzzleloader season.

I'm in North Carolina. It's a two week season that comes in next week.
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:04 am

Jonny wrote:The real question is how many guys partake in the hunt? I bow hunt during the youth season in wisconsin and have yet to see a gun hunter.

If you have a lot of people out doing it, hunt escape routes out of bedding, or hunt a safe area deer wouldn't normally go, but go to escape pressure. Think thick and nasty, and not neccessarily close to a food source. Places with the least amount of human intrusion possible.

If it is only a couple guys in the area and maybe a gun shot or two a day, I wouldn't change tactics. My area gets hammered with shots all year from bear hunters to small game and bird hunters. See deer just fine in areas these guys don't go.

Get away from the people, and you should be fine.

It sounds like it is similar to the area you hunt. There are shots here and there throughout the year. I will continue to pursue as normal. Thanks for the advice.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

Early muzzleloader by me starts next Friday. I put on my orange and head out with my bow. I never run into any one during it, I realized if you stay away from field edges and easy access places you will get away from 75% of other hunters. A couple of places I hunt I know there will be hunters so I try to hunt those spots early. A lot of my early season spots are those really thick areas that people just don't want to go into.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”