How much is to much?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Slider1005

How much is to much?

Unread postby Slider1005 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:10 pm

I saw this in a previous post with predatortc and bridge, thought it was interesting. How much do you tell friends, co-workers, family about your hunting spots. What you're finding when scouting, what bucks you see when shining, or what you see when you're hunting.

For me I only tell a few who I know I can trust. A co-worker who's own land is sweet so he would have no need for public, and my father who does not hunt, but is excited at what I'm finding. It's sad I can't tell my best friend. He's the kind of guy who hunts some sweet private land, he gets a beast every year, but if I would see one on public and tell him where, he would be there the next day. So when he asks, I saw nothing. How about you guys and gals?

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: How much is to much?

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:16 pm

One thing i have to add...one time we had a guy come over to our asking to see specific pictures of a buck i was after on some private. The guy also told use about all the monsters he saw in the area so he was not sneaky or anything. But he told us who told him about the buck and i have no idea who they were.....It kinda freaks you out how word can travel.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:36 am

Choose your friends wisely ;)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 am

Don't tell nobody nothing. Anyone I would tell would have the respect not to show up there. If I want my friends to hunt my spots, I tell them. I don't mind putting my good friends on good spots.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:46 am

I generally think I am an overly generous person when it comes to sharing hunting land and spots with friends however it has certainly changed with my time availability. If I cannot get out and scout enough to where I feel like I have a surplus of good spots available I tend to stay a little more quiet about them (public spots).
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:53 am

I have become more careful over the years. It's funny how people think there is something magical about the area you hunt. Where I hunt in northern Wis. I basically threw a dart at a map and started scouting and hunting. If we took someone up there they couldn't even drive a few miles away and find their own areas. Instead people would crowd in on my areas.
I've even noticed that if someone is fishing in a certain area on a lake other people are attracted to that same spot.
CatfishJack

Unread postby CatfishJack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 am

I am very tight lipped. Only my son knows my top stand sites. I try to hide where I park my boat, truck or canoe where I hunt. I will not hunt certain spots if somebody is about and can see me go there. I don't like bowhunting my top stand sites during gun season because then people can see my orange, so I usually hunt stands that are not as good. I never leave my stand in a tree overnight, or very rarely. On public land if you want to protect your spots, you have to do this. Private I hunt I do not take these precautions hardly at all. To acquantances I am always shooting spikes or fork horns, but to my friends I tell the truth what I shoot.
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:55 am

dan wrote:Choose your friends wisely ;)

You sure got that right Dan!!! Jelously is crazy thing trust me on that one!!! If you don't listen to one other thing on any site take Dan's words seriously because no matter how close friends say they are big bucks do crazy things to people!! Take that to the bank..Walt
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Yeah....to be good/successful hunter you need to lie. (If I knew how to put a smiley face here, I would)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Man sounds like you guys hang out with a sneaky bunch of people, maybe my circle of hunting friends is too small at this point or they just arent ambitious (being from the city and all) as I because I can't even give spots away to people. I have more of an issue with fishing spots. I'm always gaining new spots for hunting, good private spots lately, or finding new stuff on public so I willingly give away spots to friends and they won't go to the ones that are too hard to hunt. No one will carry a stand in. Its ridiculous. I have trouble with fishing spots. I've got one good fishing buddy and I hear about spots and we check them out together or I find em and pass it along to him then if I'm busy he takes others there and suddenly its as though it was never even "my" spot and its suddenly theres. That's irritating because fishing is a group activity and to be left out from fishing your own spots is just a low blow. I guess in a sense I'm lucky to have lazy friends though no one will be killing my ducks or deer unless I hold their hand out to the spot.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:29 am

This question was asked on another hunting forum and I replied by saying I pretty much keep to myself and few select hunting buddies. I was then told I was selfish by a few of the board members. :o Whatever I said.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:29 am

I've shared hunting locations with others that I trusted, but for the most part I keep them to myself for a good reason. In the Public Land hunting section I've got a post called Public Proximity that has examples of this.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:42 pm

We are very tight lipped about our hunting spots up north! Every year gun season we have a train of cars slowing down at night near our hunting cabin and staring at our buck pole :lol: We have almost become the benchmark for what seasons are judged up there! We have shot some real dandy bucks up there, but people don't realize we bowhunt all fall there so come gun season we know where a few deer are ;) We also spend every legal minute of shooting time during gun season HUNTING! We bust our asses because its only 9 days a year and its a long time til next year! We have a mean happy hour too but were in bed by 9pm :lol: The more you WORK at this sport, the more you will be rewarded! People don't see it that way though. they want the easy way out, the free ride to success! We even have to change what vehicles we drive regularly up there! :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Only a select few know "where" I hunt. As for stand locations, big bucks sightings, trail cam images. Me, myself and I....ONLY :)
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:43 am

It really depends. On some public spots, all the guys that hunt there tell where they hunt, because we all respect their spots so they will respect ours. It works well....but I don't talk much about what I see in my spot.

When it comes to telling friends about spots, it depends on the friend. There's a couple that have helped me a lot, so I do the same for them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”