Lake Bedding???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mathews418

Lake Bedding???

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

I've been researching some public land around me area and out local corps of engineers lake has some public hunting land. It is bow access only except during our 2 week black powder and they are allowed and then goes back to bow only the remainder of the season. There are some points that jut out into the lake and I am curious as to how the deer may bed on these peninsulas. I know the best way to tell is of course to get in with boots on the ground and dig however the season is already started and I would be going in blind. I can't figure out how to post pics since photobucket is crappy, I would be happy to text or email them to someone. So if any beasts with lake hunting experience could kinda point me in the direction or what to look for it would be greatly appreciated. I can also kayak in the back door too.

mathews418

Re: Lake Bedding???

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

There are no swamp areas either I looked and watched swamp bedding again last night!!!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

Postimage.org is the easiest way to post, but if you send them to me at tufrthnails@gmail.com I'll post the pics for you, but it might be this evening before I get to it.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:48 am

Some of the areas I hunt are around lakes also, (deeper lakes)... From what I've seen they will use the points if they are big enough that they have more than one way to escape back into the main land..
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

They bed similar to points in cattails. With the wind blowing off the mainland to the point. And enough space & cover for an escape between them and the waters edge. I've seen some bed right on the waters edge in really thick cover. Usually with an escape route both ways.

Here's a good thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13346&p=160897#p160897
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 am

Jphunter wrote:Some of the areas I hunt are around lakes also, (deeper lakes)... From what I've seen they will use the points if they are big enough that they have more than one way to escape back into the main land..

Yep X2
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 am

I've extensively scouted one lake property with peninsulas. The points that I have looked at are only 100-200 yards wide. I have found no definitive buck bedding on them, but right where they meet the mainland there is almost always a lot of rut sign from years of cruising perpendicular to doe trails entering/exiting the points. Most the buck beds I found in this terrain were close to valley heads between peninsulas in the lake. Never actually hunted them because of swirling winds and wonky thermals with the water so close. I have no doubt the spots hold bucks, but the odds seemed too low to me of actually getting a shot or setting up undetected. Done a lot of gun drives on the property as well and don't ever recall having a good buck come off of one of the points.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Points wont have beds per say, but your nearest transition lines will if its remote enough as far as access.
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Points wont have beds per say, but your nearest transition lines will if its remote enough as far as access.

When you say transition lines are you meaning the transition or the lake edge or an interior transition back off from the water?

Thank you all for the info and keep it coming, I have emailed some aerials of the property that is provided by the WRC (Wildlife Resource Commission) that show the boundaries and some topos as well. He is going to try and get them posted up this evening.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 pm

mathews418 wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Points wont have beds per say, but your nearest transition lines will if its remote enough as far as access.

When you say transition lines are you meaning the transition or the lake edge or an interior transition back off from the water?

Thank you all for the info and keep it coming, I have emailed some aerials of the property that is provided by the WRC (Wildlife Resource Commission) that show the boundaries and some topos as well. He is going to try and get them posted up this evening.

check your closest interior transitions. Probably up higher than the lake if its hilly
mathews418

Unread postby mathews418 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Maybe this will work!!! The numbers is the acreage per parcel. None of them join one another but aren't too far away either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”