Replacing bolts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Replacing bolts

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:28 am

NBK438 wrote:
dan wrote:If one bolt bent, I would replace all of them. You might have a Chinese version. The Chinese ones had cheap hardware that in my opinion is dangerous. I like the bow wax cause it seems to last longer. I don't know when they switched to grease, we always used bow wax, as far as I can remember.

This is an American built one. I was shocked when I found the bent bolt. I weigh in at 155lbs so I'm not even coming in at half the rated weight capacity. I applied bow string wax to my sticks when I tore them apart and I thought it turned out good.

If it was a grade 8 bolt, I would expect the stand to break before the bolt bent. I was given a few Chinese stands and sticks and all the bolts on them bent. My original Lone wolf stands were used over and over getting set up and taken down daily since I got them, and there proto's with the exact same bolts in them today that were in them when they were built. I wouldn't trust those bolts if one bent. I have not gotten anything from L/W or XOP in a long time so I can't comment on what they are using now.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:32 am

NBK438 wrote:
dan wrote:If one bolt bent, I would replace all of them. You might have a Chinese version. The Chinese ones had cheap hardware that in my opinion is dangerous. I like the bow wax cause it seems to last longer. I don't know when they switched to grease, we always used bow wax, as far as I can remember.

This is an American built one. I was shocked when I found the bent bolt. I weigh in at 155lbs so I'm not even coming in at half the rated weight capacity. I applied bow string wax to my sticks when I tore them apart and I thought it turned out good.

Did you happen to cam lock your stand with the bottom strap on at one time? This will no doubt do some damage. I bent a bolt on one of my sticks once because a step/v-bracket bolt came slightly loose allowing some play on the tube. Anytime they come loose you risk damaging something when putting weight on.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 am

Dewey wrote:
NBK438 wrote:

Did you happen to cam lock your stand with the bottom strap on at one time? This will no doubt do some damage. I bent a bolt on one of my sticks once because a step/v-bracket bolt came slightly loose allowing some play on the tube. Anytime they come loose you risk damaging something when putting weight on.

I always cam lock from the top. My buddy showed me cam locking from the bottom a couple times and I was never a fan. I knew immediately that there was potential to bend the post.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 am

Okay, it might be chinese hardware on an American platform. Do you think the coarse threading bolt I put on will be okay, Dan? If not, where is my best shot of finding a fine thread grade 8?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:36 am

If the Bolts are bending on your sticks they are el cheapo bolts. I would check out

https://www.fastenal.com/products;jsess ... de+8+bolts

https://fastenerconnection.com/
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:40 am

Stanley wrote:If the Bolts are bending on your sticks they are el cheapo bolts. I would check out

https://www.fastenal.com/products;jsess ... de+8+bolts

https://fastenerconnection.com/

Agree. Grade 8 bolts should never bend.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:07 pm

NBK438 wrote:Okay, it might be chinese hardware on an American platform. Do you think the coarse threading bolt I put on will be okay, Dan? If not, where is my best shot of finding a fine thread grade 8?

Fine thread is better, but coarse will work ok... I use coarse on mine in a lot of cases cause I can't find fine in the sizes I need and I have not had any issues. I don't think fine is necessary, but given the choice if both were available, I would do fine. I would say though, that you may be much better off getting the "right" hardware from L/W assuming they are using grade 8 bolts... I know they aleways used to, with the exception of a short time period when stands were made in china... The reason for this is that the bolts need to be plated. For treestands / sticks we would buy them in bulk and have them black nickle plated. If you get plated bolts at the hardware store they are silver nickle (shiney) if they are black colored, its just an oxide, not a plating and they will rust eventually. I just ordered some black nickle bolts and nuts, and there was a 500 of each minimum order.. :shock:
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:19 pm

I'd buy grade 8 no matter what. It certainly gives me a little more peace of mind even though I know "stuff" happens some times.
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm

dan wrote:
NBK438 wrote:Okay, it might be chinese hardware on an American platform. Do you think the coarse threading bolt I put on will be okay, Dan? If not, where is my best shot of finding a fine thread grade 8?

Fine thread is better, but coarse will work ok... I use coarse on mine in a lot of cases cause I can't find fine in the sizes I need and I have not had any issues. I don't think fine is necessary, but given the choice if both were available, I would do fine. I would say though, that you may be much better off getting the "right" hardware from L/W assuming they are using grade 8 bolts... I know they aleways used to, with the exception of a short time period when stands were made in china... The reason for this is that the bolts need to be plated. For treestands / sticks we would buy them in bulk and have them black nickle plated. If you get plated bolts at the hardware store they are silver nickle (shiney) if they are black colored, its just an oxide, not a plating and they will rust eventually. I just ordered some black nickle bolts and nuts, and there was a 500 of each minimum order.. :shock:

Thanks, Dan!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”