Where would you hunt NW wind, first cold front end of sept?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
MATexbow

Where would you hunt NW wind, first cold front end of sept?

Unread postby MATexbow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 am

Here is the scenario. Hunting a river marsh with several mixed (pine and red oak) islands on a gradual bend of a river. We have a NW west wind blowing the first cold front of the year. Prevailing winds this time of year are ESE and N. The yellow dot was my first sit of the year on a SE wind. Buck left Bedding 1 and traveled cross wind to the East and then entered point in a location I could not shot abt 35 yrds from my tree. Got down wind of me but never heard him bust. I assume he caught some kind of wind.

I am unsure which bedding area to set up on with this NW wind. It will be gusty (14 mph) so I will have some cover noise to get in close. Generally I understand the rule that they like to bed with wind to back, but I think they will still be using these bedding areas because it is the best cover around. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
Cuzzinfish

Re: Where would you hunt NW wind, first cold front end of sept?

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 am

Feel free to take my suggestion with a grain of salt because I'm assuming the deer will take the shortest path to the trees if there's forage there. My first thought is you probably could split seam on those two Northern bedding areas with your wind. Again, I'm making an assumption on the deer movement.

MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:59 am

Makes sense. Thoughts on the preferred beds for a nw wind?
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:27 am

MATexbow wrote:Makes sense. Thoughts on the preferred beds for a nw wind?

Whats the cover and ground like where they bed? That would probably be the best indicator. What deer can see and hear from their bed seems to dictate a lot of how they set up in reference to the wind. For example, deer in hill country set up on leeward ridge sides because they can smell behind and see below/front. Deer bed in oxbows with wind in their face because the water is a barrier behind. Mr Infalt has a hunt where he climbed the tree and could see the buck was in the bed. I asked and the buck was set up with the wind in his face and thick cover behind. He set up on a slightly off wind and threaded his scent just past the deer.

There are guys who can probably answer better than me, but that's my two cents.
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 am

MATexbow wrote:Makes sense. Thoughts on the preferred beds for a nw wind?

And it's entirely possible the deer would bed there on any wind if, for example, they're bedding on dry humps cause that marsh grass is typically flooded. They could hear anything coming from any direction. I saw a spot like that on a piece of public when I lived in Erie, PA. Shot a couple deer out of it with a rifle by just splashing around the edge a bit.
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks for the input Cuzzinfish

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”