Fun Question for Mr. Dan...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Fun Question for Mr. Dan...

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Sean952 wrote:Dan when was the last time you hunted MN if ever? If you have what is your most memorable hunt in MN

I have only bear hunted there. I have scouted there though. Its on my bucket list.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:Great stuff Dan! Thanks for sharing that w us. Here is some more about Andrae and You..

Can you remember the first time you hunted in work shoes?

When was the first discussion/encounter w Andrae you had & how did that go?

When was the first time he and you showed up and hunted the same buck?

Does Andrae have any military back round? Just curious bc of the way he speaks about things.

I used to hunt in tennis shoes a lot when I was a kid and had no money... I would say I 1st started killing bucks in my work boots about the 1st time I bought work boots.

Andrae was introduced to me by a farmer. We both hunted the guys land. The farmer/friend told Andrae about a big buck I had killed and then brought him over to see it. We hit it off, and I let him hunt a farm I had and he gave me a sand cast stand, that he had just invented.

We hunted the same areas for a while, but we keyed in on the same things, so eventually we decided who was hunting where, and we seperated. One time, we both went to a huge swamp to hunt. We both scouted, and set off without telling each other where we were going and ran into each other at the exact same tree... A square mile of swamp. and we both picked the same tree... :lol:

Andrae is not a military guy.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

BobinCt wrote:How many hunts does it usually take you to get your buck your after? Assuming it's a property you have scouted and you know where he is bedded?

Thats a tough question. There are a lot of variables.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Kokes wrote:Awesome thread so far
Dan if you had to "redo" the cover pic to your book where you pose woth your mounts how many bucks would be on it and is there a barn big enough near you to hold all of them for the pic?

Lol.. Im not sure. :lol:
bowtarist

Unread postby bowtarist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Alabama wouldn't be on your bucket list would it? I have about 65000 acres of public within 30 minutes of my house and a spare room you could stay in. Just sayin!
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:18 am

dan wrote:Andrae was introduced to me by a farmer. We both hunted the guys land. The farmer/friend told Andrae about a big buck I had killed and then brought him over to see it. We hit it off, and I let him hunt a farm I had and he gave me a sand cast stand, that he had just invented.

Did Andre know about that buck? Was he hunting it too?
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 am

Now that the campfire has been lit, 'Uncle Dan' is telling stories and the fellow 'beasts' are hanging on every word tell us the story of the albino hanging on the barn wall. Or did you just spray paint it! :lol:
I had an albino at 20 yards in late flintlock last year, had the gun up, chip shot...and didn't shoot. Not sure why bc I am not superstitious but I lowered the gun and allowed her to walk away.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 am

Primetime41 wrote:
dan wrote:Andrae was introduced to me by a farmer. We both hunted the guys land. The farmer/friend told Andrae about a big buck I had killed and then brought him over to see it. We hit it off, and I let him hunt a farm I had and he gave me a sand cast stand, that he had just invented.

Did Andre know about that buck? Was he hunting it too?

No, I shot it on a different property, they came to see it cause at that time period (1980'S) There were very few bucks getting shot that big.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 am

Double Draw wrote:Now that the campfire has been lit, 'Uncle Dan' is telling stories and the fellow 'beasts' are hanging on every word tell us the story of the albino hanging on the barn wall. Or did you just spray paint it! :lol:
I had an albino at 20 yards in late flintlock last year, had the gun up, chip shot...and didn't shoot. Not sure why bc I am not superstitious but I lowered the gun and allowed her to walk away.

Here is a link but the pictures have been removed curtisy of photo-bucket. I will re-add them some day. viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1337

I took an outdoor writer out there and he passed on that doe... I ALSO HAD A WHITE BUCK WALKING UP TO ME THE LAST YEAR YOU COULD SHOOT WHITE deer and it turned and walked over by Dave and he shot it. If it would of taken the same path I probably would of been the 1st in Wisconsin to legally arrow to white deer.
gravebeforeshave80

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 am

Curious to know what your Bow setup is? and if you've ever hunted Ohio?
Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:52 am

Cool Q&A so far, so I guess I will ask one.

I see from your journal you hunt a lot with Mario and some other guys. I am sometimes a lone wolf, but I love hunting with my family and a couple close friends and going in as a team. I guess I like doing both at different times throughout the season.

What are some of your favorite "team effort kills", rifle drives, or bucks you put other guys on? Why do you hunt with others? Do you feel any extra sense of accomplishment, or is it simply because it is a more effective tactic?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:05 am

Something a little different,

What's your fondest memory of being not only a club member but also the president? Since you started this forum is there one particular thing that stands out? A particular thing said? A certain member finally grasping it? Or did you learn a valuable lesson? A new friendship?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 am

gravebeforeshave80 wrote:Curious to know what your Bow setup is? and if you've ever hunted Ohio?

Im using a Forge "Serial killer" It was built for me... Have not made it to Ohio hunting yet.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:48 am

elk yinzer wrote:Cool Q&A so far, so I guess I will ask one.

I see from your journal you hunt a lot with Mario and some other guys. I am sometimes a lone wolf, but I love hunting with my family and a couple close friends and going in as a team. I guess I like doing both at different times throughout the season.

What are some of your favorite "team effort kills", rifle drives, or bucks you put other guys on? Why do you hunt with others? Do you feel any extra sense of accomplishment, or is it simply because it is a more effective tactic?

Its certainly more effective for me to hunt alone... I started hunting more with others for enjoyment. I don't like talking much about bucks I put others on to because I feel like im down sizing there accomplishment, or taking credit. One I will mention was a giant one antlered buck that I was real close to killing during the late season till a mishap at work cut my middle finger off at the top joint. It was reattached, but I was told I could not shoot a bow. I pUT A FRIEND ON THAT BUCK. It would allways come in late after I left. I took him to the stand snow crunching way to loud for my liking. As I left I heard my friend yell for me when I was out about 100 yards away... I was like really. That buck is only 100 yards from him, we sneak in and he yells?!?!

So I go back over there, and he shot the buck.... Said it came down out of the bedding as I left sneaking watching me...
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:54 am

^^^^ that's a fantastic story Dan!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”