1st sit of year results in hospital visit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Net Guy
500 Club

1st sit of year results in hospital visit

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Well, that didn’t go as planned. :doh: First, have to thank my 41 week pregnant wife for letting me go hunting Saturday. Figured that would actually trigger her to go into labor, but no go. So, with the green light, my buddy and I headed to a piece of public that we’ve been waiting a long time to hunt.

My plan was to shoot a big buck then welcome the “little buck” to the family, just like it happened to my buddy not long ago. Got in the stand after 1.5 hour trek through the swamp and had a big doe walk under my stand 15 mins in! Came right from the bedding I know a big buck lives in. Plan’s going to work, right?! Um, nope. Only deer I saw. Made it back home bummed neither of us got one, but still had high hopes.

Woke up yesterday with a rash. Oh no! Put some cream and took some Benadryl. That should take care of it. Handful (6+) beers stressing through the Packers and Brewers game probably didn’t help matters though. Woke up this morning and can’t open eyes! Not good! Unfortunately, I had walked through some poison sumac :doh: and went to the hospital for some drugs. Wife said “I bet you’re not going back there are you?” :roll: My response: “Heck yeah! When’s the next SE wind?” :lol:

This really sucks, but I’ll heal and get back after that big buck. I think I will wait till after “little buck” shows up though. ;)

wmahunter
500 Club

Re: 1st sit of year results in hospital visit

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 am

knock on wood, not allergic to that stuff. that sounds bad.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:09 am

Net Guy wrote:Well, that didn’t go as planned. :doh: First, have to thank my 41 week pregnant wife for letting me go hunting Saturday. Figured that would actually trigger her to go into labor, but no go. So, with the green light, my buddy and I headed to a piece of public that we’ve been waiting a long time to hunt.

My plan was to shoot a big buck then welcome the “little buck” to the family, just like it happened to my buddy not long ago. Got in the stand after 1.5 hour trek through the swamp and had a big doe walk under my stand 15 mins in! Came right from the bedding I know a big buck lives in. Plan’s going to work, right?! Um, nope. Only deer I saw. Made it back home bummed neither of us got one, but still had high hopes.

Woke up yesterday with a rash. Oh no! Put some cream and took some Benadryl. That should take care of it. Handful (6+) beers stressing through the Packers and Brewers game probably didn’t help matters though. Woke up this morning and can’t open eyes! Not good! Unfortunately, I had walked through some poison sumac :doh: and went to the hospital for some drugs. Wife said “I bet you’re not going back there are you?” :roll: My response: “Heck yeah! When’s the next SE wind?” :lol:

This really sucks, but I’ll heal and get back after that big buck. I think I will wait till after “little buck” shows up though. ;)

That doesn't sound fun. I've had poison sumac a bunch and I hate that stuff.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:14 am

I've had poison ivy and oak before but never sumac. Sounds terrible!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am

wmahunter wrote:knock on wood, not allergic to that stuff. that sounds bad.

I got a bad case of ivy when I was pretty little and was never allergic I could roll in the woods for days and be fine. My brothers would get it. Since I got back from Afghanistan I have gotten mild cases several times each time it seems to be a little worse.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:55 am

I hear your pain. Every year i seem to find poison ivy and I've had two bouts with chiggers already. My wife asked what it will take to get me to stop and i said nothing. I'd rather be itching than sitting at home and miserable because i can't hunt
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:59 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I hear your pain. Every year i seem to find poison ivy and I've had two bouts with chiggers already.My wife asked what it will take to get me to stop and i said nothing. I'd rather be itching than sitting at home and miserable because i can't hunt

Amen to that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
medicsnoke

Unread postby medicsnoke » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Booners Acres of Ohio
medicsnoke

Unread postby medicsnoke » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

After watching this video I have not had a Ivy rash. If I even think I may have contacted Ivy, I wash with dawn dish soap and a wash cloth multiple times in the shower.
Booners Acres of Ohio
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Wow. Good thing baby didn't come. You would have looked all jacked up in the photos. Lol. Would have been a good story though.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm

PK_ wrote:Wow. Good thing baby didn't come. You would have looked all jacked up in the photos. Lol. Would have been a good story though.

Still might if that baby comes in the next 24hrs or so. :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Poison sumac? I put that stuff in a bowl with some cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons, topped with Italian dressing! :mrgreen:
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:
wmahunter wrote:knock on wood, not allergic to that stuff. that sounds bad.

I got a bad case of ivy when I was pretty little and was never allergic I could roll in the woods for days and be fine. My brothers would get it. Since I got back from Afghanistan I have gotten mild cases several times each time it seems to be a little worse.

I have a dermatologist friend that says the reaction gets worse every time you get. I thought it seemed logical you would maybe build an immunity after being exposed multiple times, apparently it’s the opposite
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Yikes! Get well soon and slay a buck!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

dan wrote:Poison sumac? I put that stuff in a bowl with some cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and croutons, topped with Italian dressing! :mrgreen:

Crap, that was my problem. I used ranch dressing. :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”