Return after being pressured

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Return after being pressured

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 am

I recently put a cell cam up. It wasn't an easy process and the imprint if human activity was very apparent over the last month dealing with complications. Having never used a cell cam and being a long way from my farm unable to hunt early season I'm wondering if my bucks have time to get settled in and return to a daytime pattern. From 8-11 pm I have buck activity in my plot, no evening daylight activity since the velvet came off. My guess is it's due to the pressure, do u all see a return now that the property has been calm for couple weeks? Is it a dispersal issue? I see pics all over the net of daytime use of food and can't help but think we blew things up being in there too much. Thoughts?

Girls are coming in daily on a string, same time.

OHBB24

Re: Return after being pressured

Unread postby OHBB24 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 am

My mid to late October activity usually is great going into November. Beginning of November it's a zoo. I reckon my property could be a better pre to post rut but I have killed mature deer in early October in the past. Being that I know where buck beds are I'm worried I have no residents right now.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 am

It usually takes about 7-10 days for me to notice any good bucks on camera after deploying a camera.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 am

OHBB24 wrote:I recently put a cell cam up. It wasn't an easy process and the imprint if human activity was very apparent over the last month dealing with complications. Having never used a cell cam and being a long way from my farm unable to hunt early season I'm wondering if my bucks have time to get settled in and return to a daytime pattern. From 8-11 pm I have buck activity in my plot, no evening daylight activity since the velvet came off. My guess is it's due to the pressure, do u all see a return now that the property has been calm for couple weeks? Is it a dispersal issue? I see pics all over the net of daytime use of food and can't help but think we blew things up being in there too much. Thoughts?

Girls are coming in daily on a string, same time.

Certain bucks show back up the same day, some in 2 days. You could disturb things I suppose. But I think its also dispersal issue. We are all seeing it here. Bucks I have not seen in days that were coming regular. I have not been to that cam in 2 mos. I just did a recent post on this very thing.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 am

I wouldn't get too worried. Been hearing others talk about buck dispersal after velvet sheds in early September. I'm seeing the same thing. I think that it is more a cause of their nature and not necessarily solely because of pressure put on them. Throughout the summer on one of my properties, I was consistently getting pics of 11 different 2.5 year old and older bucks. (Keep in mind I'm in michigan, so that's pretty good). As soon as velvet was shed, I'm only getting pics of a few of them and movement seems much more random. Hunt hard but hunt smart. They will be around the general area. Once they start looking for hot does, you never know who might show up.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 am

This may seem strange but I have the best luck getting pics of good bucks the same day I put them out. On more than one occasion I have set the cam and had the buck I was looking for on it well before dark :think: It has actually burned me twice because I figured with the intrusion it would take a few days to let the area settle before I could hunt it but the dang bucks were there that evening while i'm in a different tree! :lol:
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

I wouldnt worry, the larger bucks on my summer soaker have seemed to disappear for the moment(last month). A lot of things change, food, natural dispersal...Not going to stop me from hunting it.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:40 pm

flinginairos wrote:This may seem strange but I have the best luck getting pics of good bucks the same day I put them out. On more than one occasion I have set the cam and had the buck I was looking for on it well before dark :think: It has actually burned me twice because I figured with the intrusion it would take a few days to let the area settle before I could hunt it but the dang bucks were there that evening while i'm in a different tree! :lol:

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. This year I had that with one camera with two nice bucks in velvet. Last year my two biggest buck in July/August we within a day of putting them out.

My cellular camera hasn't been getting much in the last week. Temps have shut the deer down in the one small area I hunt, granted there are no oaks near it and the oaks are really dropping. I probably won't hunt for another couple weeks in Illinois, temps are still too warm for me. Looking forward to see what my cameras in central Illinois have come late October, I think we have 21 cameras up right now. Once the velvet is shed and the temps drop a bit, pictures really start to increase.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Quick Question, did you have daytime buck activity before you put up this camera? Not sure if you had a regular game camera before so you knew they were in the plot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”