Interesting observations with cell cams this season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Interesting observations with cell cams this season

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:50 am

Maine i love hearing about this info from you as you figure out more. Up until cerro cams we've relied on radio collar studies and observations but these cams may change our understanding of deer behavior quickly.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:Maine i love hearing about this info from you as you figure out more. Up until cerro cams we've relied on radio collar studies and observations but these cams may change our understanding of deer behavior quickly.

Some of it makes me scratch my head.

These deer just do stuff that goes against the proverbial wisdom on human intrusion. Some of it just does not make sense. On the 19th and 22nd too of my target bucks showed in broad daylight...after almost 8 days of bouncing around this place, putting a bunch of pressure on it. I have a regular camera I pull whenever I walk by this apple tree. Its an edge. I never hunt it. Friday night I walked by it. After I walked by, buck gets up out of a bed that I found just recently, shows up at this apple tree. Broad daylight. I was under 100yds from him. Hunting acorns just on the other side of this bed.

Deer are the best teachers for sure. The more I spend studying them, the more I realize I do not know.
jpsmith270

Unread postby jpsmith270 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:07 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:Maine i love hearing about this info from you as you figure out more. Up until cerro cams we've relied on radio collar studies and observations but these cams may change our understanding of deer behavior quickly.

Some of it makes me scratch my head.

These deer just do stuff that goes against the proverbial wisdom on human intrusion. Some of it just does not make sense. On the 19th and 22nd too of my target bucks showed in broad daylight...after almost 8 days of bouncing around this place, putting a bunch of pressure on it. I have a regular camera I pull whenever I walk by this apple tree. Its an edge. I never hunt it. Friday night I walked by it. After I walked by, buck gets up out of a bed that I found just recently, shows up at this apple tree. Broad daylight. I was under 100yds from him. Hunting acorns just on the other side of this bed.

Deer are the best teachers for sure. The more I spend studying them, the more I realize I do not know.

You can say that again! It seems like the more I learn and the more I hunt, the more I figure out how much I do not know and how far I have to go!!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Cell cams were hopping last night with this cold front that pushed it. My buddy though, said his were dead. However, one area he sat last night he saw 5 bucks, 1 of is the target buck I scouted last year and he hunted. First time ever seeing that deer on the hoof. Beauty of a 4.5yr old.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 am

Gr8 Thread! :clap:

Their keen noses keep them one step ahead of us...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:05 pm

So here is more interesting info that I learned today.

I was just outside bedding area that I put 3 cams in. 1 was a cell cam. 2 were regular cams. Cell cam and regular cams were 50yds apart.

The difference was crazy. The cell cam you would swear 1 3.5yr old showed daylight maybe once a week. The regular cam that I have not pulled in 2 mos showed that buck has been there nearly EVERYDAY sometimes morning and night. He never shifted when he dropped velvet. He just never moved in front of the other camera.

The bucks NEVER SHIFTED when they shed velvet. They just were feeding on the other apple tree 50yds away.

The buck I killed ...he was there for nearly 30 minutes, right near a camera. Never got a photo of him. Where I live, the way deer move means to really get a good idea of what deer are doing, it takes a bunch of cameras. You really can be missing a LOT by being off a mere 50yds.
Greg4579

Unread postby Greg4579 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Great stuff Maine. I came to the same conclusion independently on a piece of property I was hunting. Just because I was seeing this bachelor group on camera once a week led me astray. In reality I learned they come through a particular area almost everyday once I laid eyes on them. Had I run multiple cameras there i’d have known.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”