Scent stream and canoe access

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MATexbow

Scent stream and canoe access

Unread postby MATexbow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Curious what folks experience is with canoe access from downwind areas to access islands. I have a large bend in a river, accessing from North, bending to the west. Island is about 250 yards up the river from the bend, right up on the bank with swamp grass to the west, north, and east. I suspect bedding to the E and NE of the island. The river access would take me downwind of the bedding areas to a setup that would keep me upwind. If I travel downwind via river past the bedding area am I wasting my time? Have folks blown out deer while accessing via water?

Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
MATexbow

Re: Scent stream and canoe access

Unread postby MATexbow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:21 pm

Wind will be out of the SE and SSE
Public ownership of land is a vital component of a democracy worth living in. Corporate interests that destroy quality land for profit buy their way into power in our government and actively undermine the rights of public land hunters like us.
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:10 am

how fast is the river flowing? if its a lazy strecth in the river thermals might take your scent up and away.
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 am

Its a pretty slow stretch, lots of lily pads and low flow
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 am

Take a trip and use milkweed. I've found that they tend to hang right in the creek if the wind isn't blowing too hard, especially with the tall grasses and brush around, the scent stream tends to follow the water.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
MATexbow

Unread postby MATexbow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 am

Will do today and report back! Thanks for the input

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”