Elimination of WI Deer & Turkey Tagging Requirements

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Net Guy
500 Club

Re: Elimination of WI Deer & Turkey Tagging Requirements

Unread postby Net Guy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:15 pm

I don't think this rule change will impact poaching. Like many have said, they'll do it anyways. However, I am concerned about accurate harvest and overall deer number census. They weren't terribly accurate before, but I'm not sure if this move is in the right direction or not. Appears this will lead to further inaccuracies.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:17 pm

Dewey wrote:Wish they would take care of this stuff well before the season instead of after the regs are printed. Nothing like confusing people. When in doubt just put a tag on it.

As far as this resulting in more poaching I'm not worried about it. Poachers will be poachers no matter what the rules say. Honest people will always do the right thing.

This WILL be abused by some of the big brown it's down gun hunting groups near me.
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Should be interesting. Poachers will always poach but I who knows how this changes the borderline guy. Like it or not, these type of people do exist. Not needing to physically tag the animal does change things. Antlers make some hunters greedy. Let's say someone shoots a nice buck early bow but not the "one". Since they don't need to tag it, they could not register it and continue to hunt fairly easily and then register the buck later on.
Granted this could have happened before.

Better yet, they could register it online but continue to hunt knowing they could shoot a doe (where applicable). If the "one" comes along they could easily shoot it and use their dad's, mom's, brothers or whoever's tag to register it. If they got stopped while hunting all they need to do is say they have a doe tag still. For me, if I filled my buck tag now I wouldn't go near the woods during the rut with just a doe tag. Antlers make hunters do crazy things.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it but I think having to have the tag on you while hunting prevents some violations. There a percentage that will always violate and large percentage that will always follow the law. But there are some that woudlnt have violated in the past I believe. If this was a financial decision, charge another $2 per license to pay for it. Our licenses are cheap for residents and dirt cheap for non-residents.

I've personally not hunted because I didn't have my tags on me. This was on private land that I'm 99% sure I'd be safe from getting checked. Having to carry the tag makes you think twice. In the past, I woudlnt even consider hunting public without one. This was the wrong decision in my opinion. The back tags were a pain. Having to carry the tag on you was not.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 pm

No your not thinking to much into it. Get it home and register it with someone elses tag who might not even hunt. Your left with a tag yet. The fear of getting caught with a untagged deer is gone.To easy to cheat now.
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks for sharing. In my opinion it's probably not the best move but I guess we'll see how it goes.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:57 am

I remember a few years ago a guy by me got busted for poaching because the warden found untagged deer hanging in his walk-in (I don't remember if it was his deer or someone elses bc a lot of people use his cooler). It is a shame stuff like this will always be under the radar now.

My other disappointment is that I really liked that Wisconsin recently started selling separate tags for private and public land. However, if you don't have to actually put your tag on the deer, or have it with you, there is little stopping private land hunters from coming over to public land more often and just registering it as a private land kill the next day.

I guess poachers will poach, but when you make it more accessible, more people will take advantage of it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:06 am

goldtip5575 wrote:No your not thinking to much into it. Get it home and register it with someone elses tag who might not even hunt. Your left with a tag yet. The fear of getting caught with a untagged deer is gone.To easy to cheat now.

Well you can legally print extra copies of your tag. So validate one tag in case a warden checks you. Take the deer home, butcher it and freeze it, and toss the validated tag but don't register it. Warden won't ever know since you still have an un validated tag, and never registered a deer to that tag. As long as you aren't dumb, how would you ever get caught?

I'm not a smart guy and I figured that out in 30 seconds.

Poachers will always poach. At least it's easier for me to legally tag and report my deer
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:31 am

I wish all states would come up with a system where you have to tag the animals you kill, but you don't pay for the tags. I almost went to Colorado for an elk bow hunt this year. It's $700 for the tag if you're an out of state resident. That's 100% ridiculous.

The whole reason I started hunting was to get high quality meat for a much lower cost than you pay in a crazy hippie grocery store like Whole Paychecks. It's one thing to pay the $700 if you kill an elk, but to make people pay for a gamble? To h$%l with that.

With a system where you have to tag, but don't have to pay unless you kill an animal, sounds like best of both worlds.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:35 am

Ognennyy wrote:I wish all states would come up with a system where you have to tag the animals you kill, but you don't pay for the tags. I almost went to Colorado for an elk bow hunt this year. It's $700 for the tag if you're an out of state resident. That's 100% ridiculous.

The whole reason I started hunting was to get high quality meat for a much lower cost than you pay in a crazy hippie grocery store like Whole Paychecks. It's one thing to pay the $700 if you kill an elk, but to make people pay for a gamble? To h$%l with that.

With a system where you have to tag, but don't have to pay unless you kill an animal, sounds like best of both worlds.

Hunting is the opportunity to harvest, not a guarantee. If they did no pay unless you kill there would be a lot more people cheating. Plus there would be even less money in the coffers for state agencies to manage the resource.
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 am

I dont get how not having to tag a deer saves the state any money. I think there will be alot more poaching/cheating the system then there was before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”