Rut question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Rut question

Unread postby JonNc » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Do you guys find that hunting near buck beds is still good during the rut or do you focus primarily on just doe bedding? Also, if you do choose to hunt a buck bed, are they typically back in their beds before daylight and then getting back up mid-morning to cruise?

Thanks

headgear
500 Club

Re: Rut question

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:07 pm

Absolutely, on public or pressured land you don't see a lot of cruising or chasing out in the open, everything happens in the bedding areas. I saw more rut action my first couple of years beast hunting than the previous 20 years hunting without a purpose. A tip I learned from Dan is to move around during the rut, bedding in the morning (doe or buck) and then hunt a funnel or cruising area, then back to bedding in the evening. Make the most of your sits in areas where you have the highest odds.
JonNc

Re: Rut question

Unread postby JonNc » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks Headgear. I found 2 good spots this summer on a certain piece of public. One I found multiple beds with many rubs, the other was one bed with lots of hair and a good rub line indicating he uses it most of the year. I only have 2-3 days to hunt these spots so I need to be fairly aggressive. How close do you like to get to these kinds of beds in that time of year for a morning hunt? I want to get close but am afraid of bumping them out if they are in there before daylight. I know it's a bad idea early season, but figured during rut they might not be back yet. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”