Limited time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

Limited time

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:40 am

We're nearly two weeks into bow season in my neck of the woods and I've been in a tree twice. So many other commitments are making it hard as ever to hunt. Going to have to make some smart choices when I do get a free day.
It's going to be more important than ever to make the most of my available time. The window is already closing on some of the spots I wanted to hit in the first few weeks of the season. I'm going to need the stars to align to get a mature buck on the ground. Fingers crossed!

No complaining, no whoa is me. It is what it is I'm not going to sweat it. Lucky to live in a country where I can still do this and be healthy enough to do it.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Lockdown

Re: Limited time

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 am

I hear you man. I keep thinking about the freedom I had in my 20's when I was single. I hunted a ton and wish I had went more :lol:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am

Good luck and get after them when ya can. Lots of things important in life that rank up there more than hunting, although I have a hard time remembering that myself sometimes.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Season started here yesterday. Ive shot my bow once. I did zero scouting, my rock harness is almost finished...it's life

I haven't missed a single walk or park outing with my son, I'm home for dinner every night and doing family stuff on weekends.

My wife knows I want some time soon and I will get some hunts in. I spend my evenings before bed reading this forum and looking at maps.

My good friend is a converted beast who gets to hunt...he takes me along in his planning and his hunts always keeping me updated this keeps me fresh.

I will be ready when the time is right
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Wlog wrote:We're nearly two weeks into bow season in my neck of the woods and I've been in a tree twice. So many other commitments are making it hard as ever to hunt. Going to have to make some smart choices when I do get a free day.
It's going to be more important than ever to make the most of my available time. The window is already closing on some of the spots I wanted to hit in the first few weeks of the season. I'm going to need the stars to align to get a mature buck on the ground. Fingers crossed!

No complaining, no whoa is me. It is what it is I'm not going to sweat it. Lucky to live in a country where I can still do this and be healthy enough to do it.

Didn't you say in another thread you recently gained permission on some great private very close to your home? ????

That should help ya a little. Good luck
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm

I know your pain. I always tell my wife November is mine. This year my vacation starts October 30- November 20. 2 days are already screwed up due to a wedding and thanksgiving dinner. I'm looking for ways around these issues. Get out whenever you get the chance.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Been there done that....it's tough for sure. I'm lucky to get out 8-10 times in October, but rut time watch out....vacation kicks in and it's long hours in the stand. Just have to make the most out of the time you do get out in the woods.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:55 pm

If it makes u feel any better I haven't got to go at all, my season doesn't open for almost another month! I'm not much of a early season hunter, between this dang heat and blood suckin mesquitos it drains a lot of the joy out of it for me. I probably will go a handful of times this October and fill my doe tags. As of yet I haven't seen anything to give me a reason to move in on. Past years of hunting everyday of the season has taught me one thing, keep those women at the house happy. It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your but all day long. Come November-December I hit it pretty hard so I plan on stock piling some brownie points.
Last edited by stash59 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed masked vulgarity.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:04 am

basspro05 wrote:Season started here yesterday. Ive shot my bow once. I did zero scouting, my rock harness is almost finished...it's life

I haven't missed a single walk or park outing with my son, I'm home for dinner every night and doing family stuff on weekends.

My wife knows I want some time soon and I will get some hunts in. I spend my evenings before bed reading this forum and looking at maps.

My good friend is a converted beast who gets to hunt...he takes me along in his planning and his hunts always keeping me updated this keeps me fresh.

I will be ready when the time is right

I'm in this same boat.

Emrah
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 am

I hunted a ton in my late teens and early twenties. But I've found a lot more success as I've gotten older with very limited time to hunt. It forces you to choose the best spot for each day you have available. I'm in "the zone" on every sit and it makes a huge difference. Very few missed opportunities.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:48 am

Wlog wrote:We're nearly two weeks into bow season in my neck of the woods and I've been in a tree twice. So many other commitments are making it hard as ever to hunt. Going to have to make some smart choices when I do get a free day.

I know you and me were talking about this stuff last week.
With both my girls in sports being done at the same time every day at different schools pretty much shoots my weekday hunts in the rear. I got lucky for tonight but Saturdays are about it for me until November. I never hunted on the weekends much before and had plenty of time during the week. I thought last years was bad for time. this year is going to be brutal. I'm really banking off of history this season and a few new places I picked up scouting this year and hoping I get the wind to put them to work. All those places I wanted to get to early season with an ok acorn crop this year are hanging over my head. Haven't had a good crop in three years and I know spots are lighting up hard. Finding scrapes near bedding all over the place and lots of sign around food sources is killing m not being able to get on them but so it goes. Cant do much about other than hunt when I can hunt and feel confident that things will work out.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:49 am

Redman232 wrote:I hunted a ton in my late teens and early twenties. But I've found a lot more success as I've gotten older with very limited time to hunt. It forces you to choose the best spot for each day you have available. I'm in "the zone" on every sit and it makes a huge difference. Very few missed opportunities.

Exactly when you know you are only gonna get. Handful of hunts you make them count and definetly don't take them for granted.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:19 am

Redman232 wrote:I hunted a ton in my late teens and early twenties. But I've found a lot more success as I've gotten older with very limited time to hunt. It forces you to choose the best spot for each day you have available. I'm in "the zone" on every sit and it makes a huge difference. Very few missed opportunities.

I agree. I did the same thing in my 20's, hunted very hard right from the season opener through October. Come November I was burned out with nothing to show for it...Now I try to hunt smarter and wait until the time is right and have had more success that way. Doesn't look like i will have too much time early season, but no problem, come the end of October that will change.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 am

The key is too enjoy to the fullest, every opportunity you get to hunt!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:26 am

Lockdown wrote:I hear you man. I keep thinking about the freedom I had in my 20's when I was single. I hunted a ton and wish I had went more :lol:

Oh man I hear you, I was a hard core waterfowl guy for ten years and picked up bowhunting late, couldn't imagine what I could do with the knowledge I have now and that kind of freedom. Even now the season isn't open yet and I feel like my entire fall is planned out and time is short.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”