LW stick with muddy steps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RidgeReaper

LW stick with muddy steps?

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 pm

So, I have a set of each brand of sticks (muddy and lone wolf). Since the double step is awesome on the muddy stick and of course LW doesn't have a double...my solution (in my head) is to replace one lone wolf top step with the muddy double step. The only issue is that the hole through a muddy stick is slightly large diameter than the lone wolf so obviously the through bolt won't work. In order to remedy this I would be required to drill out the lone wolf hole to fit the muddy hardware. I'm also unsure that the muddy and lone wolf sticks are exactly the same dimensions (wall thickness and OD). I don't own a micrometer but I reckon I could borrow one to make certain. Was wondering if anyone had useful input on this? I'm terrified to scrap a lone wolf stick if the plan doesn't work. I only need to change one top step and I plan to use that as my very top step to get in and out of the stand so I don't have to worry about which side my steps are flipped to the whole way up and it also provides a better platform to hang the stand and do all that work and not have to teeter on one little step. The lone wolf and muddy sticks stack well together so I think it will work but I'm also concerned about making the hole larger by about a 1/16th since it may compromise the strength and I would hate for it to crack under stress.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: LW stick with muddy steps?

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm

No useful info but interested in this as I have thought about doing it also. For now I just use 3 LW steps and 2 of the Muddy Pro sticks for the top. Weight wise it's not bad at all.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Hey ridge I have a micrometer and we can see If the muddy hardware will fit my aluminum tubing if so you won't have to use your lone wolf sticks at all. You can do a test run on my tubing and if it's a no go just put everything back to where it came from.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Hey ridge I have a micrometer and we can see If the muddy hardware will fit my aluminum tubing if so you won't have to use your lone wolf sticks at all. You can do a test run on my tubing and if it's a no go just put everything back to where it came from.

Ahh nice man! I gotta stop down sometime! I may actually be able to zip over for a few this weekend.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:09 pm

I'm heading up to Ny salmon fishing for the weekend try to catch up next week.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I'm heading up to Ny salmon fishing for the weekend try to catch up next week.

Nice man!! Good luck! Next week should work even better.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:32 pm

You could see if you can find a steel bushing to fit into your muddy steps so that you wouldn't have to drill out your lw stick.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Any updates? I'd like to do the same on my lone wolf sticks
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:41 am

I would try a bushing instead of drilling out the LW stick. LW really should make one section with two top steps.
pewpewpew

Unread postby pewpewpew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am

I’m curious if anyone with lone wolf sticks ever tries to set up their top stick sort of side by side with their second to last stick, as to have two steps beside each other? A make shift double step, sacrificing some height.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

pewpewpew wrote:I’m curious if anyone with lone wolf sticks ever tries to set up their top stick sort of side by side with their second to last stick, as to have two steps beside each other? A make shift double step, sacrificing some height.

I will be doing this in the next weeks, maybe an off season project. All it would take is ordering an additional step through LW, using a longer bolt for the double step and then putting a spacer behind the Allen head the step levels on so both steps but up to it.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
RidgeReaper

Unread postby RidgeReaper » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Ragingun wrote:
pewpewpew wrote:I’m curious if anyone with lone wolf sticks ever tries to set up their top stick sort of side by side with their second to last stick, as to have two steps beside each other? A make shift double step, sacrificing some height.

I will be doing this in the next weeks, maybe an off season project. All it would take is ordering an additional step through LW, using a longer bolt for the double step and then putting a spacer behind the Allen head the step levels on so both steps but up to it.

Thats actually a really good way to accomplish the same thing! I haven't had time to do my idea yet so I may look into this idea instead.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm

RidgeReaper wrote:
Ragingun wrote:

Thats actually a really good way to accomplish the same thing! I haven't had time to do my idea yet so I may look into this idea instead.

I did this same thing and the stick was flexing where the hole was and eventually started to bend the walls if the stick tube. It was on a 1st gen xop stick. I wasn't happy and stopped using it.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 pm

I'm not sure if the LW tube is any stronger, but I only tried on the xop.
It was the added boot length that was too much torque on the stick.
I was going to drill a hole and add a step 4 inches below the top step so they would still food, and never got around to it.
Going to wait for the Infalt Sticks now.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Why not just use 1 of your muddy sticks for your top stick?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”