Where to find the time?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ravenhunter

Where to find the time?

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 pm

So this fall I know I'm going to have limited hunting time. I've got two small children, ones in Junior Kindergarten and the others in full time daycare. Every morning I take my son to school before work and pick him up after work. I'm self employed but still work weekends(grocery retail) too so I'm trying to decide what days I should try and find the time to hunt. In the past I hunt more weekday mornings and evenings vs weekends(too busy with work and that's family time). Just wondering thoughts and opinions whether or not I just scrap mornings and hunt evenings when I can? Plan hunts around the weather? Moon? I'm not interested in causing any major battles at home this year, something's are more important. Thanks for the thoughts and input. Cheers.

Longbow with a pointy stick
Hunting is Conservation
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Where to find the time?

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Hey when life makes you busy, just hunt whenever you can!

Any time you can find for a hunt, is never wasted!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:11 pm

A sick day when the weather conditions are absolutely perfect can be better than a week of pre-scheduled vacation.

Give me a post-frontal, frosty, clear, cold day in early November and I am pretty confident I will at least have an encounter with a decent buck.
Last edited by elk yinzer on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm

I am a stay at home dad and I barely hunted a dawn or dusk, but I was in the stand 15 minutes after car line drop off until pick up every day. Make every minute count.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 pm

burkhart wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Hey when life makes you busy, just hunt whenever you can!

This is the secret... if u don't need the meat to survive just enjoy it. I sit a similar boat and just enjoy the moments the deer are a bonus

Sitting out hunting, is total enjoyment! "treestand therapy" is my favorite time of the year!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tradstalk777

Unread postby Tradstalk777 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I can relate. I have one in daycare and another on the way shortly. Anytime will be the right time for me. Fork bucks look out, I have no standards this year!
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Tradstalk777 wrote:I can relate. I have one in daycare and another on the way shortly. Anytime will be the right time for me. Fork bucks look out, I have no standards this year!

I like it lol. #forkyorbust
Hunting is Conservation
MikePerry

Unread postby MikePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Personally I don't hunt mornings during the early season up until about October 25th. Then I'll hunt whenever I have time, really no bad time to be in the woods ever but especially during November. In 2006 I had 1 vacation day, shot a mature public land buck on the evening of November 2nd, got to my spot at 4 pm killed him about a 1/2 hour later, saved my vacation day for November 10th in Ohio, hunted all day killed a big 7 1/2 year old buck at 2 pm. Point is I worked 7 days a week that whole archery season and still managed to kill 2 mature bucks and a couple doe with limited hunting opportunities, my stand locations were fresh and I got lucky with good deer movement and weather patterns the days I was able to get out. Just go when you can and have fun!
Persistence pays!!!
Ravenhunter

Unread postby Ravenhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

Definitely going to go when I can. Hope the public land guys don't mind a late arrival hunter some evenings. Most of the guys hunt close to the parking lot so I'm going to walking past guys for sure.
Hunting is Conservation
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm

tgreeno wrote:Hey when life makes you busy, just hunt whenever you can!

This.

I am in a similar boat. Just gotta enjoy what time you can get out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”