Deer/Cow's TC Pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BA-IV

Deer/Cow's TC Pics

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:01 am

I remember we were discussing deer and cows not to long ago, and I checked a trail camera the other day and got these pictures. Now this is on some corn I threw out in front of my kid's ladder stand. The cows roam free on this property and stay in the woods from late evening to early morning, and move back to the fields during the day. Look at the times. Just thought it was a unique sequence.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Deer/Cow's TC Pics

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:38 am

I wonder if the deer left because of the cow.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 am

mheichelbech wrote:I wonder if the deer left because of the cow.

My bet is a big yes. Watched it happen a couple of times from stand.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:42 am

Yep.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:32 am

I load the pictures from my iPhone to the gallery, and they are sideways, so I rotated and saved em. They appear straight when I pull the thread up from a computer but appear sideways when I pull the thread up from an IPhone :?: :?:
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:25 pm

stash59 wrote:

My bet is a big yes. Watched it happen a couple of times from stand.

Probably a dumb question here, but why would the deer be scared off by the cattle? I'd assume many of these deer spent their whole life around cattle. The only thing I can think of is that the cows defend their calves and get aggressive at times.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 pm

When personally I saw it they just took off. But I'm sure there was a reason. My logic was the cows were aggressive towards the deer in the past. The timing in the photos led me to believe the same thing in this case.

I've also witnessed the opposite. Deer grazing and moving through a herd of cattle like it was just another day out in the field. I think that deer may be more sensitive to cattle in tight quarters.

When I was little I loved it when my dad through me on the saddle in front of him. Then we'd ride our horse through the woods and drained marsh habitat. We'd get super close to deer. Even saw a couple of bucks. That when I look back on it. Were probably 3 YO's.

Great memories.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 pm

Cows will and do scare deer off. And I typically do not see deer using pasture, as the cows usually eat up anything good that the deer would want to eat. I see deer in hay fields bordering pasture all the time, but not in the pasture with cows. Having cows free roaming on any property through the woodlots, will negatively impact the future of the forest and the suitability for wildlife species.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 am

My experiences are they avoid them but aren't scared of them. Depending on # of head per acre cows gobble up all the good browse. Back in my SD days the gfp put some cattle on a public piece I frequented and deer sightings were down 75% so I left it be the rest of the year. Numbers were back up again the following year when they cattle weren't around.

Last fall I was putting a stalk on some mulies out West and some cows moved through. Bucks were bedded but walked off when the cows ambled by.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 am

brancher147 wrote:Cows will and do scare deer off. And I typically do not see deer using pasture, as the cows usually eat up anything good that the deer would want to eat. I see deer in hay fields bordering pasture all the time, but not in the pasture with cows. Having cows free roaming on any property through the woodlots, will negatively impact the future of the forest and the suitability for wildlife species.

This is definitely a misconception, especially if the woods are grazed properly. Cattle are actually beneficial in most cases, but not all. The NRCS in Louisiana has been doing studies for years, and very rarely do the negatively impact an environment if they are allowed free range, now pastures are different stories. Free range though on over a 1000 or more acres, they tend to roam like the buffalo once did and actually do some good to the native species being choked out by invasive species.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 am

BA-IV wrote:
brancher147 wrote:Cows will and do scare deer off. And I typically do not see deer using pasture, as the cows usually eat up anything good that the deer would want to eat. I see deer in hay fields bordering pasture all the time, but not in the pasture with cows. Having cows free roaming on any property through the woodlots, will negatively impact the future of the forest and the suitability for wildlife species.

This is definitely a misconception, especially if the woods are grazed properly. Cattle are actually beneficial in most cases, but not all. The NRCS in Louisiana has been doing studies for years, and very rarely do the negatively impact an environment if they are allowed free range, now pastures are different stories. Free range though on over a 1000 or more acres, they tend to roam like the buffalo once did and actually do some good to the native species being choked out by invasive species.

Kinda depends on what part of the country your in. Or if it's a dry year. Seen pretty heavy damage sometimes. Others it was a huge benefit.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:36 am

BA-IV wrote:

In smaller wood lots cattle will and do demolish the understory. In the Midwest this is very common for cattle to completely pulverize the understory thus the deer cover is completely gone. If you have your timber in the state programs in Iowa you are not allowed to have cattle in the timber for this very reason.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:47 am

I could see in smaller wood lots where this could be a problem. NRCS manages how the cattle are rotated pretty intensely on the smaller wood lots if you are part of their program from what I understand to keep this from happening. Bigger wood lots it's not needed as much.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 am

This is usually my experience. When cows move in the deer move out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”