When Do Your Buck Rubs Start Showing?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Re: When Do Your Buck Rubs Start Showing?

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:04 am

I have been out scouting the last 2 days in WV. Did not see any fresh rubs, but did find a massive fresh scrape today on a new piece of property. Luckily I had a camera with me to hang on it...

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:26 am

A 2yr old looking Buck ran across the road this morning on my way to work . Most of his velvet was shed except the right main beam with a piece hanging off . Central Ohio.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:12 am

elk yinzer wrote:Very early yet but I hope to find a few tomorrow checking out a new area I spotted two shooters. Have a massive signpost rub in another area I want to hang a camera.

59 degrees today couldn't ask for a better day to scout. Only found 1 rub but it was a pretty good size laurel shrub absolutely shredded. Another signpost that looked like it was freshly worked over but wasn't positive.
Scouted a new spot where I put a camera out on a whim and got 5 shooters. I found a few good kill trees. Man the next 29 days cannot pass by fast enough.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:52 pm

BA-IV wrote:
Hooks1 wrote:Found 2 rubs on the 21st of August. I've seen 3 bucks out of velvet and 5 still in velvet, including one late this afternoon, here in Louisiana.

What part of Louisiana are you hunting in?

I live just south of Alexandria. Hunt Rapides, Grant , Winn, Lasalle, Avoyelles,Catahoula, Natchitoches St. Landry and Vernon, 98% public.
Southerntundra

Unread postby Southerntundra » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I haven't actually put eyes on rubs yet cause I'm trying to stay out of woods but I have pics of bucks that are hard horn already. Not all just one so far but he was clean.
Central Arkansas
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 am

Found this over the weekend. It's at least 36" high, measuring from top of rub to the ground. I also saw a number of rubs on a historically used rub line between two fields.

Southeastern PA

Double Draw wrote:I assume, though maybe I shouldn't, that the bucks have not started rubbing in your neck of the woods yet. However, they will soon. I think it would be interesting to try to track, first, when rubs begin to appear where you hunt/live and, second, when the 'meaningful' rubs begin to appear. So we can compare apples to apples, please roughly divide your state of deer hunting into quadrants (ex. northwest PA or SE Wisconsin) for comparative purposes. I know this will not exactly be 'scientific' as many refrain from going to the places of meaningful rubs until 'the right time' but humor me, if you will, with this rub info. As always, pictures are always appreciated as is any other observational info. (ex. kind of tree, location, etc.) Thanks and its good to be on The Beast. Learned a ton from Dan and others this past year. Just joined the forum.
Ready...set...go!
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm

My father in law got a hard horned 8 on cam the other day so it's happening in NY
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Just got off the phone with dad and he said he saw a giant buck on his way home tonight which shed all of his velvet already. Central WI.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

NE Ohio. I was scouting a spot this weekend and found a few fresh rubs that had deep grooves from the antlers being real sharp still. Nothing crazy fairly low on small trees but was pumped to see its almost time!
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks everyone. Keep them coming! I am especially interested in when the 'significant or important' rubs that Dan talks a lot about start showing up, too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”