Dilemma on putting in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dmking3
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/dakoda.king.

Re: Dilemma on putting in blind

Unread postby Dmking3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Lockdown wrote:Here's a pic from the lane I killed that doe from. I jammed some sticks in the cattails and zip tied more above my lane.
If you look close you can see the stick and the zip tie. Lane is a lot smaller than it looks in the pic. Here's a pic of a two year old buck I passed before I shot the doe. I was scooted too far forward in my blind to shoot him, so this doesnt depict a good view of the lane itself.

Here's a look back at the cover I was hiding in. I'm standing where the doe was when I shot her. 10 yards or less.

Just make sure you stay low and keep your outline broken up. It's also super important that your camo/clothes blend in and arent too dark. Many camo patterns meant for stand hunting are VERY dark. I was wearing my tan carhart bibs and jacket in that cattail set. The same stuff I wear to work. If your background is lush green grass, you could even buy a green long sleeve T-shirt and wear that if you don't have the right camo pattern at home.

Yes the grass i would be sitting in is over head to me. Thank you for all your help & detail! Appreciate it. Did you make up your natural blind same day as harvest?

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 pm

Dmking3 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Here's a pic from the lane I killed that doe from. I jammed some sticks in the cattails and zip tied more above my lane.
If you look close you can see the stick and the zip tie. Lane is a lot smaller than it looks in the pic. Here's a pic of a two year old buck I passed before I shot the doe. I was scooted too far forward in my blind to shoot him, so this doesnt depict a good view of the lane itself.

Here's a look back at the cover I was hiding in. I'm standing where the doe was when I shot her. 10 yards or less.

Just make sure you stay low and keep your outline broken up. It's also super important that your camo/clothes blend in and arent too dark. Many camo patterns meant for stand hunting are VERY dark. I was wearing my tan carhart bibs and jacket in that cattail set. The same stuff I wear to work. If your background is lush green grass, you could even buy a green long sleeve T-shirt and wear that if you don't have the right camo pattern at home.

Yes the grass i would be sitting in is over head to me. Thank you for all your help & detail! Appreciate it. Did you make up your natural blind same day as harvest?

Yep. Same day set and kill.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:12 am

I think you need to go in and just sit on a stool or quiet chair and shoot a deer. It is amazing how effective you can be if you sneak in, find the sign, and set up where you can shoot. IMO, it is more about your movement than anything else.

Sometimes my wife likes to go on my hunting trips - she takes a bag chair and goes for a walk, sets her chair up where she can see a bit and then sits there and watches - she often sees more deer than me. The woman is like a statue in a green walmart chair. I find it advantageous to have her out scouting for me.

One place she had a doe and yearling inside 20 yards and she was sitting in the middle of a road. Last year she had a 6 pt within 15-20 feet of her. Both times I was going to get her and see her sitting there all but feeding them out of her hand. Pretty cool.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”