Great write up by Joe on scrapes.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
tbunao
500 Club

Re: Great write up by Joe on scrapes.

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 pm

elk yinzer wrote:Good article. One thing I have noticed in the mountains with low deer density is that clusters of the smaller "random" scrapes that are often dismissed are good indicators of bedding areas. I'm talking areas that can have 20 or more small scrapes clustered in a few acres.

The reason that is so useful is because our long ridges don't have obvious thermal hubs and pinpointing bedding from map scouting can be very difficult to a pointless endeavor.

Not that I am hunting them directly but I am using that as a piece of the puzzle to tell me how bucks use the area during the rut. More of the primary scrapes tend to be in nightime travel areas and to me those are useless except to run camera surveys.

That's something I came across last year. 21 scrapes coming through a very slight saddle that's running a ridge. I think it was the first week of November when I bumped 2 smaller bucks bedding out in the open maybe 100 yards apart from each other along this route. I'm guessing there a was a hot doe or coming into somewhere close, most likely just across the public line. It's one of my focal points for cam history this season.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Well done article Joe! You've got a knack for it. Great job!
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:29 pm

It is definitely interesting the difference in scrape sizes as Joe mentioned between lower deer densities and higher deer densities. I spend a LOT of time scouting post season, pre season, in season. I run a TON of cams on scrapes throughout the season. I have a very small handful of ground scrapes that mean anything to me. Very few of them see daylight activity except for certain times of the year. Compare that to what I see in the midwest for size and quantity :shock:

I will say this. Anything thing that many of these guys write about is not something that you can really figure out in one season or even 2 seasons. One thing I have picked up from Joe is learning to read the data collected throughout the seasons. What I love about it is your brain can work on these "problems" throughout the day...without ever stepping foot in the woods.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Excellent write up. Scrape hunting has always fascinated me. Probably because I shot my first bow buck and first gun buck over scrapes.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Awesome article, I really enjoyed it. Great job Joe.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Great article Joe....very informative!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:40 am

I like it. Nice job Joe :handgestures-thumbup:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am

Great article Joe. Thank you.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:54 am

mainebowhunter wrote:It is definitely interesting the difference in scrape sizes as Joe mentioned between lower deer densities and higher deer densities. I spend a LOT of time scouting post season, pre season, in season. I run a TON of cams on scrapes throughout the season. I have a very small handful of ground scrapes that mean anything to me. Very few of them see daylight activity except for certain times of the year. Compare that to what I see in the midwest for size and quantity :shock:

I will say this. Anything thing that many of these guys write about is not something that you can really figure out in one season or even 2 seasons. One thing I have picked up from Joe is learning to read the data collected throughout the seasons. What I love about it is your brain can work on these "problems" throughout the day...without ever stepping foot in the woods.

and to a new guy just getting into hunting you can create more problems than before by over thinking. Hunting is something that just takes time.

Good post maine, I feel you definitely hunt a different animal than the rest.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:09 am

I have never found a "year round" scrape. Maybe I'm in the wrong spots, or it's just my area? In past years I have hunted over scrapes during the rut, with limited success. So, I notice scrapes, but I rarely plan my hunts around them. Though, I have a lot of new area this year, so it may be a different story. I do think the areas Joe hunts, have significantly more mature bucks, than the areas I hunt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 am

Nice write up Joe. I think part of the thing with a buck bedding in a scrape is security. The smell factor I call it. A well used bed has lots of deer scent in it as does a scrape.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:43 am

Joe is excellent observer. Enjoying his expertise. Thanks you
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:44 am

Stanley wrote:Nice write up Joe. I think part of the thing with a buck bedding in a scrape is security. The smell factor I call it. A well used bed has lots of deer scent in it as does a scrape.

One of my first thoughts when Joe originally brought this up here was maybe they are just plain rundown during the rut, and they have already stopped at the scrape and are just resting? Seems simple but perhaps? Curious to see what Joe comes up with on this one.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:26 am

Just more proof that you can learn more by listening to the great hunters on this site in an afternoon than you can in a full yearly subscription to one of the mainstream magazines. Excellent write up Joe! :clap:
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:10 am

Thanks guys

hunter10 wrote:Great article! Joe is you read this, I have a question regarding the thermal hub scrapes. In my farmland/hill country hunting areas I have seen these scrapes in the exact spots your map illustrates. How do you sneak into these spots? If you come in along the ravine bottom you would leave a scent trail where deer travel to get to the scrape, if you come in from the ridge tops you risk being sky lined or busted by bedded deer. How do you go about it?

Well, often you just can't. Bucks are often within eyes sight of where you should be setting up. What I prefer to do is pinpoint that bedding and try to hunt it directly - if not an evening hunt, then catch him coming back in the morning.

But say you do want to hunt the hub. Sometimes that's the only option - for instance I have a spot where the bedding is on the surrounding ridges that are private, the hub is on public. If the hub is getting good use before leaf drop that helps with the sneak in. Get a windy day too to help. My personal preference is coming in down low up the creek or ditch or whatever is down there. That's only if I can stay concealed and usually needs fairly big hills and rugged terrain to work. Ideally there are tall creek banks and I can come in unseen with a setup right on the bank somewhere, then just have to try and set up nice and slow w/out being spotted.

For whatever reason I see a lot more activity in thermal hubs in the evening just before and after dark. In the late pre rut its usually the first stop after they get up seems like. Less in the morning - but the bucks are still nearby using that bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”