Essential Oils cover scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alfsisaiah

Essential Oils cover scent

Unread postby alfsisaiah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:05 am

Crazy topic havnt heard anybody talk about to my knowledge. Has anyone used essential oils to cover scent or to attract deer. Possibly to a camera or something. I have heard a lot of good things about products like nose jammer and even old school tactics of covering scent with raccoon urine etc. I feel like this would work. anybody that has ever smelled the scent of a strong essential oil can testify to its potency. Certainly would overwhelm the olfactory glands of a whitetail right?

I am going to experiment with trail cameras first as attractant and see results. Will post later in the year. Thoughts?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Essential Oils cover scent

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks to my wife we've got "essential oils" all over the house.....I think it's a load of crap, but I'm cynical.

I do think it might work well as a curiosity scent for a licking branch for a mock scrape monitored by a trail cam.

I do not think it would cover your scent at all. Deer (like dogs) smell in layers, you could roll in pig crap and the deer would smell you, the pig manure, and the coffee on your breath all as separate scents. Humans would just smell the manure.
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 am

What good does it do to cover your scent with another overwhelming scent? If it is a scent the deer is not failure with it will still put the deer on guard. In my opinion, the only thing these things to is sucker in hunters who think there is a magic bullet. Do you really think that if a deer smells something that kills it's ability to smell(something I think is a load of huey) it will just stumble around blindly? Just another shortcut people hope will be a substitute for woodsmanship skills.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:44 am

Most on here don't believe in any scent control. I agree that I don't know that you can totally beat a deers nose, and I've sure killed a lot of deer with zero scent control and just "playing the wind".

I do believe you can do things that may help. In some cases we literally only need a step to get a shot off, and if we can even delay that flight reaction a second, it might be worth doing.

I scoffed at nose jammer and all scent control until some folks in the industry with video footage that is very convincing gave me some tips, some for products they are not even sponsored by. Since I trust their info, i decided to try nose jammer on my boots. So far I have only had 1 deer cross my scent trail because I go out of my way to avoid walking where I expect deer to be. I had a doe with fawns cross it and she was basically making a sneeze type noise when she got to there. She would trot back into the woods (it was a field edge) and then a few minutes later come back out. This went on for a few minutes. I was doe hunting so I eventually did get a shot after she decided there was no threat and came out. I missed, but I was impressed to see I did get a reaction.

Granted, she was a doe, but she also had fawns to look out for that were at the woodline. I now use it on my boots, and I am using an ozonics this year. I am not sure it will work, but it will be a fair unbiased review. I am not expecting to set the world on fire, but if I get one shot at a deer that I wouldn't have otherwise, it's a win in my book.

I don't think they hurt anything, but they do cost $. Several people have asked for impartial reviews, I will have that at the end of the season. I do believe there is something to nose jammer however.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:58 am

:lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:08 am

I could care less what others want to spend money on!

If it makes you feel better and more confident on your hunt, I say go for it! Will it actually make a difference...I doubt it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 am

Patchouli should work pretty well on Cali and Colorado deer by now, right?
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Thanks to my wife we've got "essential oils" all over the house.....I think it's a load of crap, but I'm cynical.

I do think it might work well as a curiosity scent for a licking branch for a mock scrape monitored by a trail cam.

I do not think it would cover your scent at all. Deer (like dogs) smell in layers, you could roll in pig crap and the deer would smell you, the pig manure, and the coffee on your breath all as separate scents. Humans would just smell the manure.

:lol: my wife swears by all that crap also and I feel the same as you about it being hogwash. I agree about the deer smelling in layers also, I use to be a cover scent and scent control fanatic. I wish I had all the money I blew on that crap over the years. I could buy a new truck I bet.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:01 pm

My opinions on mystical potions and sprays has already been stated. So I will go a different route on this one. If it 100% worked, I would not use it cause it takes away from my enjoyment and personal satisfaction. Scouting a perfect kill site, using my brain to get in undetected, remaining still and alert and executing a perfect humane kill shot is what keeps me up at night like a child the night b4 Christmas. When all these things come together it's a special feeling. If I set in a oxygen tent with a sniper rifle it would feel more like shooting than anything like hunting to me.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:57 am

I think it's more of a curiosity thing as well. I could see how it would distract them if it was an overpowering smell but once they associate that with danger the gig is up and you're back to where you started
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 am

I used a lot of Vanilla Killa years ago. It sure seemed to attract a lot of deer but never brought in a mature buck. You can fool inmature deer with stuff like this but mature deer are a totally different game. They just don't tolerate stuff like this.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Thanks to my wife we've got "essential oils" all over the house.....

Yea mine too. Those diffusers with that smell coming out of them give me a headache.....
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 am

I really don't want any strange smells around where I'm hunting other than the smells they normally encounter.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:49 am

Southern Man wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Thanks to my wife we've got "essential oils" all over the house.....

Yea mine too. Those diffusers with that smell coming out of them give me a headache.....

You mean one of these? :doh:

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:00 am

Do they make a dirt smell for the house.? :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”