Help...Morning or Evening?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KPnorthdakota

Help...Morning or Evening?

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 am

Hello All,

I've been scouting for a few months now and have some good bucks showing up at my stands. My Dad (70yrs old) decided he wanted to take up bowhunting and is shooting really well at 45lbs. Great Father/Son time.

Anyway, we are seeing most of the good bucks on the Game Cams in the 6:30-7:30am time frame. We have seen a few at the 7:30-830pm time frame which still has plenty of shooting light here.

My fear is bumping deer going in during the morning hours. We are hunting woods in stands that are 20-40yrds off crop fields. Mostly we are hunting funnels from the fields to the coolies.

So, do we take the chance of bumping the deer in the morning because of what the Game Cameras are showing? Or play it safe and hunt the evening hours, which the Game Cams show less of the bucks?

Advice?

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Help...Morning or Evening?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:43 am

I would hold off on mornings near fields. I've never had much luck beating them without spooking the daylight out of them.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:44 am

I would hold off on mornings near fields. I've never had much luck beating them without spooking the daylight out of them.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:I would hold off on mornings near fields. I've never had much luck beating them without spooking the daylight out of them.

Thanks, my friend. I'm feeling the same way. The crops will be harvested in the next week or two. Then, the fields will only have the left over wheat on the ground without the additional cover.

Would you do the same after the fields are combined?
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:43 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:I would hold off on mornings near fields. I've never had much luck beating them without spooking the daylight out of them.

Thanks, my friend. I'm feeling the same way. The crops will be harvested in the next week or two. Then, the fields will only have the left over wheat on the ground without the additional cover.

Yeah, I would. Just tough to get in there and not bump deer that are still in the field or on the edge in the morning. Of course every area is different and maybe you got a bulletproof access route in for an AM ambush.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

Yeah, I would. Just tough to get in there and not bump deer that are still in the field or on the edge in the morning. Of course every area is different and maybe you got a bulletproof access route in for an AM ambush.

Thanks. I certainly don't have a bullet proof way to get in without bumping. I was thinking about driving my truck on the edge of the field to drop my Dad off right at his stand but then I really wouldn't have a way to do that for myself.

I think we'll hunt the evenings. Thanks.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 pm

When does your season open? Sept 16 here in WI. While I am getting some nice bucks on camera around 6:30a right now that will change by season start. My advise would be to stick to evenings unless you still have a pattern by opener and can make it in without bumping deer.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:50 pm

James wrote:When does your season open? Sept 16 here in WI. While I am getting some nice bucks on camera around 6:30a right now that will change by season start. My advise would be to stick to evenings unless you still have a pattern by opener and can make it in without bumping deer.

Season opens next Friday, September 1 at noon.

There's no way to my stands in the woods without going through the fields. As a matter of fact, I have to drive my truck by the fields in order to park and walk to the stands.

Add on: Just curious as to why it changes for you before season starts...harvest or what?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:27 pm

If u can find a spot closer to the bedding that allows easy access without bumping them in the field. If u feel u have a legit shot, give it a crack. There gonna change patterns anyway. But there's a big diff from a legit shot and throwing up a hail marry! It's a long season no need to get impatient
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:If u can find a spot closer to the bedding that allows easy access without bumping them in the field. If u feel u have a legit shot, give it a crack. There gonna change patterns anyway. But there's a big diff from a legit shot and throwing up a hail marry! It's a long season no need to get impatient

Yeah, the only limitation to this property is that all the access points have fields in between you and the woods.

I suppose I'll stick to the evening hunt.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:46 am

KPnorthdakota wrote:
James wrote:When does your season open? Sept 16 here in WI. While I am getting some nice bucks on camera around 6:30a right now that will change by season start. My advise would be to stick to evenings unless you still have a pattern by opener and can make it in without bumping deer.

There's no way to my stands in the woods without going through the fields. As a matter of fact, I have to drive my truck by the fields in order to park and walk to the stands.

Add on: Just curious as to why it changes for you before season starts...harvest or what?

This is the norm in the Midwest. Mature bucks are generally back into their beds before sunrise in early season. There are always exceptions of course, but this has been my experience.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a mature buck on camera on a regular pattern that I could hunt on a morning in early season I would do it. I've learned to enjoy sleeping in early season hunting days and focusing on evenings. There will be plenty of early mornings come late October.
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 am

James wrote:
KPnorthdakota wrote:

This is the norm in the Midwest. Mature bucks are generally back into their beds before sunrise in early season. There are always exceptions of course, but this has been my experience.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a mature buck on camera on a regular pattern that I could hunt on a morning in early season I would do it. I've learned to enjoy sleeping in early season hunting days and focusing on evenings. There will be plenty of early mornings come late October.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”