Why no mature bucks bedding on a property

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KS21

Why no mature bucks bedding on a property

Unread postby KS21 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:26 am

Hey guys my question for you is what are some reasons why mature bucks will bed most of the year on a neighbors property and not on mine? For 3 years of having access to this farm there is usually only a few 3 yr olds and plenty of younger bucks on cameras. The neighbor has lots of mature bucks on camera. They will make their way over to my property some once they shed velvet and definitely during rut. My farm has 200+ acres of Ag and 100+ of timber with water running through it. Neighbor is set up same way but just a smaller property. I'm not putting much pressure at all in timber other then during hunting season. Deer density is fairly high with does and young bucks. Located in KS. Thanks for advice!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Why no mature bucks bedding on a property

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:09 am

#1 pressure
#2 better / safer bedding
#3 food
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:37 am

Are you being as careful as him with your cameras? The day I started wearing rubber gloves checking cams I saw an immediate improvement in the number of big buck pics. Also, I check them when I don't expect to bump a deer(usually middle of the day).
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:51 am

It sounds like whatever he's got over there. You need to get some on your land. See if you can find out from the neighbor what they are bedding in on his place, and try to replicate it on your land. My guess is, it's pressure, cover or some type of land structure that's drawing them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:49 am

Do the neighbor's terrain features set up better for the prevailing winds?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:53 am

Sounds like you have the ladies. Do you have lots of thick fawning cover close to food?I've seen does dominate areas like this until the rut.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:02 am

Are you placing your cameras in locations mature bucks would frequent?
One major hurdle I had to get over was the notion that if I wasn't seeing mature buck it must mean they are on the neighbors property. Unless there is a 12 ft fence between where your hunting and where he is, those deer will at some point in time end up on your property and even bed there. The deer don't know where the property line is, unless the neighbor is a liar, if there are big bucks on his property, there are big bucks on yours as well. You said they make there way once they shed velvet, I'd rather have them there during season than getting a bunch of summer pictures.
KS21

Unread postby KS21 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks guys. I keep thinking about it being pressure also. I'm using utv to drive up to cameras and most of the time it's in middle of day. Between the farmer and I we are along timber and field edges quite a bit. The bucks have good cover, food, and water on his property also....maybe after season he'll let me walk his property so I can figure out what they are liking for bedding.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Some of my best spots have no buck bedding! It's not the way I would prefer it, but in the real world u play the hand u r delt... When u have the property that holds the bucks bed u have point "A" which everything else is based on!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 am

You aren't out of the game if you have the does and not the bucks.. you just have to wait for the 2 to overlap. Also remember that a camera only covers a very small percentage of the whole pie. If the neighbour next door has the big bucks on cam I am betting they spend time on your land too. If the cams don't pick them up then scouting for the big tracks etc and observation sits can put eyes on the big ones

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”