Experienced Beast Killers - #1 takeaway

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
wkpjs

Re: Experienced Beast Killers - #1 takeaway

Unread postby wkpjs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 am

matt1336 wrote:If you're in a hurry you're likely going to make a mistake. Be observant. This goes for scouting and hunting.

Matt,
That may be the single most priceless piece of information that I am trying to get burned into my mind. I am notoriously a full speed ahead guy. From reading and listening to you all and Dan, I think message would be SLOW AND STEADY WINS THIS RACE?

Be Safe

Jason
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:45 am

Some really good points on this thread. I consider myself a novice bed hunter but have had some success in a fairly short period of time hunting this way. The biggest for me is going into each hunt KNOWING and believing in my mind that there is a buck bedded where I think and executing the hunt based on that fact. I approach the tree as if he is bedded 75 yards away with the goal of not making a single sound or mistake. I'm nowhere near perfect but this has really helped me!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:01 am

Jeff G wrote:the biggest take away i got from the first and everyone after is.........TRUST. Trust your off season and historical scouting. There is a buck bed, set up on, believe and trust he is there. hunt each set up with trust and it will happen. I think it helps make me more stealthy and keep more in tune with the evening hunt. I use to go out hoping i saw a deer/buck. Now every sit I am confident I will see him and kill him. If he eludes me, it makes it more satisfying when i do catch up with him and kill him.

What a great way to channel that feeling! I agree and there's nothing like it...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:01 pm

wkpjs wrote:
matt1336 wrote:If you're in a hurry you're likely going to make a mistake. Be observant. This goes for scouting and hunting.

Matt,
That may be the single most priceless piece of information that I am trying to get burned into my mind. I am notoriously a full speed ahead guy. From reading and listening to you all and Dan, I think message would be SLOW AND STEADY WINS THIS RACE?

Absolutely! I still find myself going too fast. We have it in our heads where we want the deer to be from our cyber scouting and other intel. A lot of times we focus on those places and we miss where the deer actually are. This is how the overlooked spots stay overlooked.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:53 pm

John eberheart mentioned once in a podcast and it has burned in my head a bit....if you were being hunted by the orange army...where would you hide?...I have used this method when cyber scouting and was pleasantly suprised to find the sign and beds in the overlooked stuff near the road...Dan says it all the time...I'm hoping to capitalize this year...it's hard to get out of the mindset at you have to go deep to find these big boya but it is said over and over
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:17 am

Attention to detail in every facet, from scouting, to observations, food sources, wind direction, thermals, entrance/exit, it all plays a part in what it takes to kill a mature buck. You have to be able to process these details and be able to add them into a plan. Execution becomes the next detail. But it's really all one. Just to me.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 am

There are a few things I have learned.

As cover reduces with leaf drop security bedding gets hotter.

You must have the correct access. Bucks are setting up to protect themselves from intrusion of humans. A large percentage of the beds I hunt I have to access in a unconventional way. Most are set as to pick up the wind from trails coming into the area. The public I hunt is small and broken into smaller pieces by human trails. There are no inaccessible areas. If I don't plan access I'm done before I start. This means making large loops and coming around the backside with good wind a lot of the time.

Proper set up with thermal protection. So many of the beds also seem to be lined up where the buck is protected by the thermal drop on the backside. This seems to be where they exit also. The only way to figure this out is to hunt it and adjust accordingly. It takes a couple yrs to dial in on these areas.

Play the short game. Bucks are not going far from the bed. You have to be as close as you can get. This also takes time to dial in. Some areas have a lot of swirling winds and if you go to far your done. Some have visual disadvantages. Some are so thick it's almost impossible to move quietly. Figuring out what causes failures will cause success.
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:12 am

Divergent wrote:I'd feel better knowing I busted him out of his bed, than knowing he busted me after I left for the night. I think a lot of hunters play it too safe.

Yes!!! Plus you have future intel.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Waymore wrote:
Divergent wrote:I'd feel better knowing I busted him out of his bed, than knowing he busted me after I left for the night. I think a lot of hunters play it too safe.

Yes!!! Plus you have future intel.

I hope to get some type of intel out of as many of my sits as I can. Something to put in my historical database!

Learning something each sit, would be considered a successful season in my eyes!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:51 am

tgreeno wrote:OK...I have yet to make my first buck bed kill. I'm hoping it happen this year!

What I'm wondering from the experienced guys who have done this: What was your biggest takeaway from that experience? Meaning, key fact, point, or idea to be remembered.

Thanks for your input in advanced!

Hunt the right terrain. Whether that means driving or walking further, whatever...

I have hunted terrain where you could hunt beds your whole life and maybe not kill one 'beast style' without a lot of luck. I have hunted other terrain where you could kill a couple in a week going in blind...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:29 am

Keep an open mind. No matter how much you know, there is always more to learn.
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 am

mainebowhunter wrote:Keep an open mind. No matter how much you know, there is always more to learn.

And, to me, that is the beauty of hunting.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Get in close enough. When I first started hunting marsh bucks I was often 50-100 yards too far away. You really need to be setup on them close and aggressive.

I stepped off my tree to the bedded marsh buck I killed last year and it was under 50 yards. On many early hunts I got to watch them stage from 100 yards away. Close that distance is key!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:25 pm

Bump for some more killers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Lots if excellent reminders already listed, but I'll throw in the difference-maker for me last season: don't ignore fresh sign when going in. I noticed several fresh rubs uo the hill from where I intended to set up and made sure I could shoot to them instead of my planned location. Killed my best buck at last light.
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”