Milkweed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Blinginpse
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Milkweed

Unread postby Blinginpse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:52 am

Local road crew is about to mow the road banks 1 last time in the next day or so. There is several milk weed pods here on my road. Could
I clip the whole weed off low leaving pods on stem and hang them Up to start drying or could I pull the pods now?

WV Bowhunter
500 Club
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Milkweed

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:59 am

I'd just pull the pods. No sense having big plants hanging around drying.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 am

I'd just pull the pods. No sense having big plants hanging around drying.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:01 am

sorry double post
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 am

10-4 never gotten them this early so
Wasnt sure
MattyJ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/matthew.johnson.7798

Unread postby MattyJ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:07 am

Dan has a video on this on youtube.

He pulls the pods, puts a slit, lets them dry out, bags them

hope this helps
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:36 am

How is everyone carrying the milkweed on the stand with em?
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:42 am

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 am

Slit the pods lengthwise with a pocket knife and set them on your dashboard for a week or so. They will be good to go after that. If you want to put the fluff in a different container pull all the guts out and put it in a jar with a couple pennies in the bottom and shake/roll them around in the fluff. This will separate the seeds and leave them at the bottom of the jar all nice and neat. I use a snuff can. I pack it full of fluff. It will take a lot. and then on the dimple on the bottom of the can I make a hole with a pocket knife so you can pull the fluff out. It will feed itself like a box of tissues. put a little electrical tap around the side of the can so the lid doesn't fall off and you are set. I keep 4 or 5 cans laying around. One in the truck one in my safety harness, scouting bag ect. you get the idea. I use it a lot when scouting to wind map spots and so forth. Have fun!
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 am

I've picked them this early before, but look for the largest pods. I have found that they do better in the 1st to 2nd week of sept. in my area.
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:01 am

I cleaned house!!! Was a patch that grows yearly that usually bares before they mow the last time but where been so dry weeds have went rampant so I utilized them all and just cleaned off the patch. I'll get the seeds and plant them out of range of the mowers for future
OHBB24

Unread postby OHBB24 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 am

Anyone able to send pods snail mail? I live way out of state where I hunt and have no milkweed where I live.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 am

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:07 am

Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Blinginpse

Unread postby Blinginpse » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 am

Na gonna share with memebers here. Have a pm or 2 if people wanting some. Be glad to share

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”