How early do you get to your stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many hours prior to dark do you prefer to be ready in stand for an early season evening hunt?

1 hour
20%
2 hours
13%
3 hours
24%
more than 3 hours
42%

Total votes: 45
Josh_S
500 Club

How early do you get to your stand?

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:50 am

Lets assume this does not include access and set up time.

csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Re: How early do you get to your stand?

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:52 am

ooops
Last edited by csoult on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 am

1,2,3 hours before what? Dawn or dusk? If yes, then before dawn then 1 hour. Before dusk.... as soon as I can.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:24 am

More what I hope I can accomplish this year. I picked more than 3 hours. So I'm getting to my kill spot while the buck is still half asleep.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
csoult
500 Club

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:43 am

csoult wrote:1,2,3 hours before what? Dawn or dusk? If yes, then before dawn then 1 hour. Before dusk.... as soon as I can.

That came off a little snarky and wasn't my intention at all..... and I now see that is says in the poll what you were talking about. Sorry :doh:
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 am

csoult wrote:
csoult wrote:1,2,3 hours before what? Dawn or dusk? If yes, then before dawn then 1 hour. Before dusk.... as soon as I can.

That came off a little snarky and wasn't my intention at all..... and I now see that is says in the poll what you were talking about. Sorry :doh:

Haha it did a little..lol. anyways the question asked about and evening hunt so i would assume dusk...
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 am

That all depends on how much time I have, ideally i like to get in as early as i can. Early season I like to leave the truck by 12. And how ever long it takes me to get in and setup, could be 3 hours or only an hour. Hunting after work I don't get to leave the truck until like 4pm so it could be 6pm before I'm setup.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am

On weekends I'm trying to get in early and scout my way in, so early season 5-8 hours before dark. On week days I try to get out as much as I can and if that means only a couple hours before dark you've got to make it work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 am

I like to get in early for an evening hunt so am normally set up at least 4-5 hours before prime time. Bucks are much less alert at midday and winds are usually higher then as well to cover your approach. Sneaking in last minute when the winds die down and bucks are getting ready to move is extremely difficult. I like to get in plenty early so I'm not rushing and can then allow things to settle down for quite some time. Even if a buck does hear something it gives him plenty of time to settle down and forget it.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:39 am

morning hunts are situational for me sometimes, I'll go in early, go slow take my time getting in, and sometimes I like to get in a little after sunrise if I have to access thru ag fields or where I suspect deer to be out feeding, so morning hunts I don't mind being a bit late to stand, and evening sits I like to be as early as I can, for two reasons, I just take it all in and enjoy my time in the woods, and two, so I can go slow, get in quiet and as dewey said let things settle down in anticipation of the movement that comes at last light :)
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

For me the answer to this questions varies on a situational, and often daily, basis.

To make a long story short(er), many of my evening bed/suspected-bed hunts require a thermal change (falling or pulling in a different direction) in correlation with a just off wind. Depending on location, proximity to water, slope direction, weather, etc. this thermal change could occur 5 hours before dark or 30 minutes before dark.

The time at which I access (or make my final access - as I may be waiting a few hundred yards away to make my move) the location I want to hunt depends entirely on a combination of the factors listed above, often on a day to day basis. Many times I sneak in when the change I am waiting for is about to happen or is happening (easy ex: sun is 15 minutes from disappearing behind a hillside).

On the opposite end of the spectrum - some morning hunts require rising thermals (or thermal pull in a different direction) which only allow for access after first light, while others require access during falling thermal activity .

Joe
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 am

More than 3 for me. If nothing else just to enjoy the outdoors
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 pm

csoult wrote:

Haha no problem, figured you just misread it
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 pm

if im hunting in the bluffs id choose 3 hours, when im hunting farmland I would choose 2-3 hours, when im hunting my metro spot id choose either 1 or 2 hours. so it all depends for me.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Early season evening hunts I like to be set-up between 2-3 PM if possible. I now realize that some of my sets are better suited for 30 mins to an hour before dusk for the thermal drop.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”