Bow Holder and Hoist Rope

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

via47126
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cass.via.3

Bow Holder and Hoist Rope

Unread postby via47126 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:13 am

Whats the best bow-holder for the mobile hunter with a lone wolf alpha? Also whats the best way to hoist up your back pack and bow after hanging, is it to use two hoist ropes? this will be my first year being mobile with a hang-on, always used a climber in previous years. Thanks

Wlog
500 Club

Re: Bow Holder and Hoist Rope

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:22 am

This is what a lot of guys are using.

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=10

I've had mine for a couple years and have no complaints. I attached it to the seat so it's always right at my left hand ready to go.

I just have a piece of paracord for my pull up rope. Rolls up nice and small and goes in my pocket. I like a vest as opposed to a pack. If it don't fit in my pockets it stays home.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Go Rusty

Unread postby Go Rusty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 am

I use a Hawk hoist rope with the rubberized twist wire. It's a wide flat braid that never tangles and the twist tie is easy to use and quiet.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 am

Hey wlog do you have a pic of how you mounted your bow holder on the seat? I think would like this setup.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:36 am

Hey wlog do you have a pic of how you mounted your bow holder on the seat? I think would like this setup.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 am

I use a third hand as well. I didn't like mine on the seat at all so I mounted mine on the platform right before where the cables attach. Im standing most of the time with the seat folded. Last few years I just used paracord tied to my back. My pack would be on my back under my stand then once I got setup in the tree I would just pull up my bow. This year I'm going to try paracord with a hook on the end and try to grab my pack and bow with that.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:54 am

I'm a big fan of the third hand as well, just make sure you have it tilted forward enough.

For hoist, I use a grappling hook and make multiple grabs.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 am

Mike32 wrote:Hey wlog do you have a pic of how you mounted your bow holder on the seat? I think would like this setup.

I did until photo bucket stuck it to everyone. Like Bass said make sure you have it setup so that your bow is tilted forward. The weight hanging forward is what keeps it from getting knocked out of the holder.

I had mine mounted to the platform before and it cost me a nice buck. Got pegged in the tree trying to lift the bow up by the top limb and get it up to shoot. It takes a lot more movement to get into position when it's mounted to the platform rather than the seat.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:40 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm a big fan of the third hand as well, just make sure you have it tilted forward enough.

What's your hook look like and any suggestions or techniques you've learned that make it alil easier making the grabs?
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 am

How come nobody use the bow holder built into the lw stands? I dont use it either. I personally dony like how it holds it.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 am

If I'm sitting my bow is always in my hand. I've learned this from experience. If I'm standing I personally like one that attaches to the tree but half the time I don't use one.

As for rope I use paracord with a snap.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:How come nobody use the bow holder built into the lw stands? I dont use it either. I personally dony like how it holds it.

I think it works better with older bows. The new parallel limb bows don't seem to fit it right. It would be convenient though.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:How come nobody use the bow holder built into the lw stands? I dont use it either. I personally dony like how it holds it.

Third Hand Holder for me all the way. My Bowtech has very narrow limbs so it's very tippy in the LW holder. One wrong move and I once lost my bow 20 feet to the ground but luckily no damage. Also if your bow tips over you could seriously tweak your lower cam where it hooks in.
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 am

This will be my first year using the third hand archery bow holder - attached to the seat. Not crazy about the weight - it weighs about a pound. Some other options I looked into after realized how heavy and big it was are:

millenium bow holder (Millenium holder - requires drilling) shipping weight listed as 5.6 oz

muddy bow holder not sure about the weight - looks pretty similar to 3rd hand archery

I am also trying the grappling method this year - I just rigged these robe hooks up by adhering them together back to back with jd epoxy and drilling a hole in the top for rope attachment. I plan to put some plastic dip on these. Robe hook I have this attached to about 25-30 feet of black ribbon. Ribbon has it's pro and cons but overall is pretty strong, resists tangles and knots and is very light. I also use paracord some.

If you wanted a four prong grappling hook you could use these hooks and do the same. Four prong hook

I am curious as to what other grappling hooks guys are coming up with. Cheers.
Last edited by Blue Ridge on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:31 am

BA-IV wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm a big fan of the third hand as well, just make sure you have it tilted forward enough.

What's your hook look like and any suggestions or techniques you've learned that make it alil easier making the grabs?

I use a gear grappler (http://www.geargrappler.com) but I used a weighted treble snagging/pier hook with the points filed prior with good success (example http://www.seastriker.com/styled-12/index.html). Sometimes I'll hook my bow to the carabiner, climb up and set my stand, pull up my bow, then use the grapple hook to grab my camera arm, pack, etc. Or just grab everything with the grappling hook if the base of the tree is full of snags. I store my thistle/milkweed in the bottom part. I use it as my bow holder when I hunt from a saddle. It is also handy for moving limbs out of reach when at tree stand height. Magnet part is handy as well if you drop something on an all day hunt. One word of caution if you go this route, make sure that rubber magnetic stopper is tight before you toss it down to the ground from treestand height. I've misplaced it a couple times at the base of the tree by not having it secured.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”