Let's see 130"+ 8 points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Let's see 130"+ 8 points

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:49 pm

timberwolf311 wrote:This is funny to me. Why shoot an old deer? Why shoot a fat deer? Why shoot a 130" deer? 130" on this property is very hard to come by, that's why it's my goal. I like it bc it's hard to accomplish, I like bc if I don't work all year it won't happen, I like it bc it forces me to get to know these deer year after year. Now as far as the travel somewhere else for a 130" that makes less sense to me. I travel every year to Missouri or Kansas and currently have a lease in Indiana. What I will shoot in those areas have significantly different guidelines. Indiana I will shoot any 2.5 yo I see. I have no time scout and even less time to hunt it, also I won't be hunting the same property next year as the lease is just too far away. Now when I head to Kansas this year the goals will yet again be different. My goal there will be 145-150 unless I am just not seeing the sign I need then it will be played by ear.

Hunting for a certain size animal isn't a bad thing. It's not unfun. It's what I like and should be greeted with the same acceptance as saying you want a 4.5yo or saying shoot WHATEVER makes you happy.

I can see your point about challenge of getting a buck with a nice score. My answer was just based on where I hunt, it's very common for a 2.5 to exceed 130 so I would personally rather shoot a old buck at the end of his ropes who might not score as high than a young up at comer who has the potential to be something special. I'm not hating on ya, u know your goal and if that trips your trigger go get em and good luck.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 am

I can see your point about challenge of getting a buck with a nice score. My answer was just based on where I hunt, it's very common for a 2.5 to exceed 130 so I would personally rather shoot a old buck at the end of his ropes who might not score as high than a young up at comer who has the potential to be something special. I'm not hating on ya, u know your goal and if that trips your trigger go get em and good luck.[/quote]

Holy smokes. I want to hunt where you do. Yes, I am jealous. lol
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 am

I would say 80-90% of the mature deer(I'll say 3 and older) I have seen would score 120-140", I think 130" is a good benchmark.
Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

One of the bucks I've been after for 3 years is now an 8 pointer. He has been a 7 the last couple years and decided to grow a brow tine on one side this year. He is at least 6 possibly 7 years old. He has a wide heavy rack and he doesn't score well. I would be more proud of this buck than any of my higher scoring deer. I saw him last year on stand but no shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”