Beast Training

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Beast Training

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

I want to sharpen my skills on does near their beds in early october to be a more effective beast. I have enough buck beds scouted to hunt mid october through the rut.

In Hill Country, doe beds are shown in a group in heavy cover, facing various directions, reducing the need to bed according to wind. In my area (big woods, steep hill country) I tend to find doe beds in some of the same types of locations I find buck beds. They are on the tips of fingers or spurs. These fingers are narrow on top sloping down to steep cuts.

Do I hunt these as wind based bedding?

Will the does j hook into them?

I have become decent at locating beds, but concentrated food sources continue to elude me. In these forests, browse and old clearcuts seem to be a large part of the diet until mast becomes available. But when it does, acorns are everywhere.

The plan is to scout for the white oaks dropping on the main ridges with signs of active feeding and then beast hunt the nearest known or likely bedding point just like for bucks.

However, many beasts have mentioned that beast tactics result in fewer deer seen, but bigger bucks. I want to avoid this. Comments? Admonishments?

Thanks. Long winded, I know.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Beast Training

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:57 pm

If you are seeking just high numbers of deer... Does and young bucks, take the popular tv route In my opinion.... Field edges, inside corners, funnels ext should provide u that. But be forewarned when u go to step up your game you are gonna have to change your tactics
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Can't say I have paid too much attention to the does but I never seen them j-hook that I can recall. They just mill around browsing and then plop down in somewhat a circle.

I would not hunt the does in their bedroom in the same area I want to rut hunt personally...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:08 pm

PK_ wrote:Can't say I have paid too much attention to the does but I never seen them j-hook that I can recall. They just mill around browsing and then plop down in somewhat a circle.

I would not hunt the does in their bedroom in the same area I want to rut hunt personally...

Yep learned it the hard way a few years back. Snuck in some doe bedding and smoked a couple does early season. By Nov the farm was nothing but random cruisers with no hot does to draw them in. Ever since then if I want a doe I public land it or just sit the edge.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm

It's all public land. 25,000 acres. So i can spread out to not burn my rut areas. But that's a good point that I hadn't considered. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”