Fall plot timing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Fall plot timing

Unread postby OHBB24 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am

If a seed company says plant around September 1st give or take a week depending on latitude, but you have scheduled rain days for August 16-20 do you go ahead and get it in? I've pushed dates back to mid September and beyond due to no rain in the past. Planting would be rye, wheat, pea, oat, brassica blend. Thoughts?

Abishai

Re: Fall plot timing

Unread postby Abishai » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:19 am

I would say it depends on your location.

I planted one year in mid-August, back home in Arkansas, because rain was scheduled and I wasn't going to have an opportunity to plant over Labor Day because of my work schedule. I planted wheat and oats. It rained. My plot came up looking like a golf course and lasted about 1 week. It didn't rain for about the next 3 weeks after planting and my food plot died. It turned completely brown due to lack of water and high temps in the mid to upper 90s.

You might be able to get away with it, but maybe not. I only had about $40 into this tiny plot when mine died. Had I had more money put into it I would've been sick.

Good luck.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”