Ticks and deer beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Re: Ticks and deer beds

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:40 am

Did you open the link I included in my post? It tells you what they are and shows a picture. You wouldn't be the first person to mistake a ked for a tick. Deer ticks are very tiny very hard to see. I have never heard of that many ticks on the ground in one spot and I have been in places that are infested with deer ticks.

Life is short, eat dessert first!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:46 am

woodswalker wrote:Did you open the link I included in my post? It tells you what they are and shows a picture. You wouldn't be the first person to mistake a ked for a tick. Deer ticks are very tiny very hard to see. I have never heard of that many ticks on the ground in one spot and I have been in places that are infested with deer ticks.

No i missed the link. I just looked at it now though. I always assumed those ked things were deer lice.lol. they were ticks for sure.. i put my hand on the ground and they were immediately on it. I get them ked things all over me when i drag em out and clean em though.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 am

OK, if that place has that many ticks better hose yourself down with permetherin and don't skin your deer at home because they will jump off a dead body..
Life is short, eat dessert first!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 am

woodswalker wrote:OK, if that place has that many ticks better hose yourself down with permetherin and don't skin your deer at home because they will jump off a dead body..

Yeah you called em seed ticks. If they're small high probability of having Lyme and other tick bourne diseases in them. Sounds like pre-adult deer ticks. Be careful. If you start having flu like symptoms. Get to a doc that will give you doxycycline no questions asked.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am

woodswalker wrote:OK, if that place has that many ticks better hose yourself down with permetherin and don't skin your deer at home because they will jump off a dead body..

I know it's crazy how fast they get off the body once it's been dead even if it is a short amount of time

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 am

Worth a mention - if you ever get bitten by a tick - KEEP THE TICK. Put it in a pill bottle or something. It's far more accurate for them to test the tick for disease then it is for them to test you after you've been bitten. False negatives for tick bourne diseases are very common. Per LymeDisease.Org:

"During the first four-to-six weeks of Lyme infection, these tests are unreliable because most people have not yet developed the antibody response that the test measures. Even later in the illness, the two-tiered testing is highly insensitive missing roughly half of those who have Lyme disease."

In other words you could go through what my mother went through. She knew she had Lyme, but 3 consecutive 2-tier tests were negative. Finally after having it for a year she tested positive on a Western Blot test. She suffered because of the inaccuracy of the test. Keeping the tick allows them to actually test the tick for the disease as opposed to testing you for the anti-bodies your body produces in response. It's faaaaar more accurate.

Here in MA the board of health in whatever city/town you live in would test the ticks for free. But they stopped doing that a year or two ago... Kind of stupid if you ask me considering we're pretty much in the epicenter for the disease. Must have run out of money for the program.

On buying Permethrin in bulk as well - I would advise against it. When you buy Sawyer it comes mixed with bonding agents that cause it to adhere at the molecular level to your clothing. Buying Permethrin in bulk will come with a much higher concentration then required (like 35%) but will also not have these bonding agents. So using Permethrin intended for pest spraying and elimination will not last as long as the Sawyer stuff. So don't treat it the same (6 weeks or 6 washes). This is especially true if applying to water resistant fabric like rain gear, tent rain flies, etc.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:Worth a mention - if you ever get bitten by a tick - KEEP THE TICK. Put it in a pill bottle or something. It's far more accurate for them to test the tick for disease then it is for them to test you after you've been bitten. False negatives for tick bourne diseases are very common. Per LymeDisease.Org:

"During the first four-to-six weeks of Lyme infection, these tests are unreliable because most people have not yet developed the antibody response that the test measures. Even later in the illness, the two-tiered testing is highly insensitive missing roughly half of those who have Lyme disease."

In other words you could go through what my mother went through. She knew she had Lyme, but 3 consecutive 2-tier tests were negative. Finally after having it for a year she tested positive on a Western Blot test. She suffered because of the inaccuracy of the test. Keeping the tick allows them to actually test the tick for the disease as opposed to testing you for the anti-bodies your body produces in response. It's faaaaar more accurate.

Here in MA the board of health in whatever city/town you live in would test the ticks for free. But they stopped doing that a year or two ago... Kind of stupid if you ask me considering we're pretty much in the epicenter for the disease. Must have run out of money for the program.

On buying Permethrin in bulk as well - I would advise against it. When you buy Sawyer it comes mixed with bonding agents that cause it to adhere at the molecular level to your clothing. Buying Permethrin in bulk will come with a much higher concentration then required (like 35%) but will also not have these bonding agents. So using Permethrin intended for pest spraying and elimination will not last as long as the Sawyer stuff. So don't treat it the same (6 weeks or 6 washes).

There is no way I could keep every tick I got bitten by. I live in Florida and I'm sure other states are bad everywhere else too but there is no way. I could probably build a house with them. LOL

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am

I spray the garage floor when I hang a deer. You could also lay down a tarp with a ring of adhesive.

On the rare occasion that the deer is really loaded it goes straight to the processor.

It doesn't surprise me that the bed would be loaded as they are laying down there fairly regularly.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:53 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:
ThePreBanMan wrote:Worth a mention - if you ever get bitten by a tick - KEEP THE TICK. Put it in a pill bottle or something. It's far more accurate for them to test the tick for disease then it is for them to test you after you've been bitten. False negatives for tick bourne diseases are very common. Per LymeDisease.Org:

On buying Permethrin in bulk as well - I would advise against it. When you buy Sawyer it comes mixed with bonding agents that cause it to adhere at the molecular level to your clothing. Buying Permethrin in bulk will come with a much higher concentration then required (like 35%) but will also not have these bonding agents. So using Permethrin intended for pest spraying and elimination will not last as long as the Sawyer stuff. So don't treat it the same (6 weeks or 6 washes).

There is no way I could keep every tick I got bitten by. I live in Florida and I'm sure other states are bad everywhere else too but there is no way. I could probably build a house with them. LOL

They don't test ticks here in Wisconsin any more. They're finally liberated enough to just start giving you the Doxycycline. When you tell them you were bit by a tick!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 am

Man i don't play around with ticks. The only good tick is a dead tick!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 pm

Bump. Thoughts on why there were so many ticks in these beds?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”