2017 trad kills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tradstalk777

Re: 2017 trad kills

Unread postby Tradstalk777 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Had my 4yr old daughter in stand with me last night. Had a nice little buck give me a perfect opportunity and... :o I blew it! Clipped his brisket right under his heart. We followed the blood but it petered out quickly. Came back alone this morning to look some more but found nothing.

Ballistic_RT

Unread postby Ballistic_RT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:47 pm

brandon_cox_84 wrote:I'm in!

I've been bow hunting with a "trad" bow since 2008, New setup this year though...

Striker / Newbreed RK-1
50# @ 28"
400 Spine Black Eagle Instincs
100 Gr Steel Outsert
200 Gr Grizzly Broadhead
22% FOC
600 Gr Total Arrow

Video of me missing a doe :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZWgVdP ... e=youtu.be

How do you like that RK-1? Im getting into trad this coming year from compound. Having trouble deciding if I should get an entry level bow to try things out first, or jump straight to the RK-1. I love everything about that bow, but the price is daunting. Im sure its worth it though. Its just I could get a semi-entry level longbow, arrows, and complete setup for about $300 less than the RK-1 itself. lol
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Ballistic_RT wrote:

I've been bow hunting with a "trad" bow since 2008, New setup this year though...

Striker / Newbreed RK-1
50# @ 28"
100 Gr Steel Outsert
200 Gr Grizzly Broadhead
22% FOC
600 Gr Total Arrow

How do you like that RK-1? Im getting into trad this coming year from compound. Having trouble deciding if I should get an entry level bow to try things out first, or jump straight to the RK-1. I love everything about that bow, but the price is daunting. Im sure its worth it though. Its just I could get a semi-entry level longbow, arrows, and complete setup for about $300 less than the RK-1 itself. lol

Never shot a RK1 but I suggest u get something cheap and light weight to find your shot. Over bowing yourself will just set u back. Work your way up the poundage until u reach a place you are happy and confident. I feel heavy bows are a lot easier to shoot in a hunting situation. I'm thinking of getting a 80lb thunderchild or Shrew, can't make my mind up. But the bow u choose is a reflection of yourself and preferences. I like the look of wood and smell of leather, others like carbon and aluminum risers and others like a mix of the 2. There's no wrong one its all preference. Just think u would be happier if u got in the groove first b4 u drop some serious coin.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ballistic_RT

Unread postby Ballistic_RT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Ballistic_RT wrote:

Striker / Newbreed RK-1
50# @ 28"
100 Gr Steel Outsert
200 Gr Grizzly Broadhead
22% FOC
600 Gr Total Arrow

Never shot a RK1 but I suggest u get something cheap and light weight to find your shot. Over bowing yourself will just set u back. Work your way up the poundage until u reach a place you are happy and confident. I feel heavy bows are a lot easier to shoot in a hunting situation. I'm thinking of getting a 80lb thunderchild or Shrew, can't make my mind up. But the bow u choose is a reflection of yourself and preferences. I like the look of wood and smell of leather, others like carbon and aluminum risers and others like a mix of the 2. There's no wrong one its all preference. Just think u would be happier if u got in the groove first b4 u drop some serious coin.

Im feeling the same way about it. I am eyeing either a Bear Kodiak Hunter on a great deal, or a new omega longbow original. Both 45#. I figure that will be plenty to start with without overbowing myself.
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Ballistic_RT wrote:

Striker / Newbreed RK-1
50# @ 28"
100 Gr Steel Outsert
200 Gr Grizzly Broadhead
22% FOC
600 Gr Total Arrow

I'm currently on the waiting list for a Thunderchild. Waiting list is about a year.
Tradstalk777

Unread postby Tradstalk777 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:50 am

Another Halloween buck down. Arrowed a 7pt from the ground at 10 yds with the longbow. Couldn't have played out any better. There are other bigger ones in there but he gave me the best opportunity. I'd post a pic if I knew how to.
brandon_cox_84
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandon.cox.374

Unread postby brandon_cox_84 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:15 am

Ashreve93 wrote:

How far of a shot was that? That doe sure dropped!! I've done the exact same thing with my recurve! Looked like a perfect shot, then I watched her stomach hit the ground and my arrow go over her back. Cool video, I hope you get another chance.

the shot was like 15 yards max lol, stinking deer are quick
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 am

Got him the night of the 30th. 10 yards or so. Nothing like hunting with Traditional!

I got a couple turkeys back in the spring too but not sure if you guys want deer or turkey :D
brandon_cox_84
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandon.cox.374

Unread postby brandon_cox_84 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:29 am

Josh_S wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Ballistic_RT wrote:

Striker / Newbreed RK-1
50# @ 28"
100 Gr Steel Outsert
200 Gr Grizzly Broadhead
22% FOC
600 Gr Total Arrow

I'm currently on the waiting list for a Thunderchild. Waiting list is about a year.

I love my RK-1, I've been shooting Striker bows since 2009 and when I saw they were coming out with an aluminum riser I was like WHAT!! I would never buy that, then I shot one lol, that was the end of that! I am a wood guy normally (have 2 striker longbows and 7-10 vintage bows as well) but I like being able to take the RK-1 out and not worry about it so much. If I drop it or smack it off a tree or something its no big deal.

That being said I would definitely look for something in the 35#-40# range to start with. As was mentioned earlier over bowing your self could / would produce bad habits that could take years to get over. On a side note Striker offers financing on any purchase of $500 or more. You could buy an RK-1 with 35# limbs and then get heaver limbs later on but buyer beware new limbs are $550 for that bow lol. Just giving you options.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Image

Got him the night of the 30th. 10 yards or so. Nothing like hunting with Traditional!

I got a couple turkeys back in the spring too but not sure if you guys want deer or turkey :D

awesome deer! Good for you! Your expression says it all.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Tradstalk777

Unread postby Tradstalk777 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 am

Here was my buck from Halloween. I arrowed him at 10yds while sitting on the ground. Complete pass through and stuck in the tree behind him. I've seen bigger bucks this fall, but wasn't about to pass up the opportunity on public land with the longbow. Also having a baby due any day may have added some pressure to fill my tag. :D .
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 am

Well done guys! I was close last night on my target buck, but it wasn't meant to be. These wood arrows sure would look nice with a fresh red stain on them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:38 am

Tradstalk777 wrote:Here was my buck from Halloween. I arrowed him at 10yds while sitting on the ground. Complete pass through and stuck in the tree behind him. I've seen bigger bucks this fall, but wasn't about to pass up the opportunity on public land with the longbow. Also having a baby due any day may have added some pressure to fill my tag. :D .

A 2fer buck down and a stump shoot! 8-) congrats on the buck and the new baby.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MDSikajunkie

Unread postby MDSikajunkie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:38 am

Very nice everyone! Nice to see some trad success. I shot a spike with the compound but nothing with the longbow yet. Keep the pics coming.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 am

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”