Beds around swamp ponds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Beds around swamp ponds

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:18 am

Found a lot of beds today on the south side of some swamp ponds. The beds were wore down to the dirt with old rubs in and around them. Every one was on a small hump that raised it out of the water and had a big mature pine tree mainly on the east side of the bed but a couple were in the south side of the bed. The wind is basically blowing out of the north. The tree seems to separate the deer from the hard woods or thickets while remaining open on the pound side? When these deer lay in these beds, arent there backs to the tree? If so that would put them facing the large pond and the wind. I'm kind of confused as to how they face when bedding.

"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Beds around swamp ponds

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am

Bucks can sure be confusing around swamp ponds, no doubt. They don't always do anything we expect them to. I would expect bucks to be in the beds you describe with a south wind... that being said, some swamp beds are so well protected that they will bed there in any wind direction... pond or no pond. Predators simply can't get near them without the buck picking them off- especially from noise.

Most of the time bucks like to watch the open with the thick to their back (the pond is open). Using their number one sense, smell, to protect their back along with hearing anything approaching in the thick, bodes well for the buck. This is especially what I see in high pressure hunting areas where outside the swamp there are hordes of hunters.

Swamps with low pressure in outlying areas have the bucks getting away with more than usual... they sometimes haven't learned to put every advantage in their favor.

Regarding the bucks always having the tree to the back... that is the case most of the time. But there are other situations, in addition to what I have described, where bucks will bed with the tree in the front.

Very steep hillsides / bluffs / foothills are examples of where the buck often beds with the tree in the front... and he watches downhill around the side of the tree. I'm talking where it is so steep that it is somewhat dangerous for us to try to stand upright. I often have my hands on the ground on the leeward side where it is this steep. When you have a very large, mature tree in the thermal tunnel or where there is some other bedding advantage on an incredibly steep slope, a very nice flat area washes out on the uphill side where the buck can lie down in total comfort. I have also used this uphill of the tree base flat spot for hunting, with a comfy stool and the huge tree in front of me for a shooting rest while I watched a funnel below (the daytime thermals were raising my scent well above my position). I dropped a beast that dressed well over 200# in Ontario by doing just that.

And that is why we never say bucks do anything... all the time.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Found 2 nice beds this spring on a point going into a swamp pond, always full of water. They bed there on a north east wind, it's going to be a tough spot to hunt because I will have to circle way around so they can't smell me, and it is going to have to be a just off wind more of a north wind. Otherwise the deer have all the advantages and there is no way to get close enough to shoot them in daylight. I also think they can see the only entrance trail from their bed as it's a man made bridge, about 300 yards away that the pond butts up to. If I get the right wind I am going to hunt it, should really be a challenge.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm

great post I have a pond in pines that backs up to some thick stuff I have yet to really scout so this can give some insight
Scotty4489

Unread postby Scotty4489 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

We seen alot of snakes too!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Scotty4489 wrote:We seen alot of snakes too!

We sure did!
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

I have had good luck with buck bedding around swampy ponds in most any winds. I have seen them bed in different positions around the pond based on wind & pressure. The cover was always very thick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I've been thinking about this same situation lately. Thanks for the info
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:57 pm

What I find is these small bedding areas get bucks using them the most during cruising. One can be super hot one day and empty the next. Keep tabs of when they get hot by watching for activity. If you start seeing sign hunt it. They burn fast.

A lot of the ones I hunt I can't get close. They are lowland bowls. A buck can see me approaching if I crest the hill n start dropping into the bowl.. I have to use the land and set up just at the point where I can get up a tree and just catch a view of the swamp. This is where it gets fun. The main issue I have is the buck still wants to hold up in a staging area right outside the swamp. Many hunts end with the buck 15-20 yrs out of range. Try n push the envelope n get in closer n he sneaks out the back door.

Swirling winds n thermals get tricky too.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 am

when it comes to the swamps I'm still learning. hill country is all I have hunted but now I m reaching out for more types of terrain and the swamps or cattails have got my attention from watching all the hunts. just the scenery alone is a fun change for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”