To Pee or not to Pee

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: To Pee or not to Pee

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 am

Hunt the wind....just don't pee into it. ;)

Buckbreath

Unread postby Buckbreath » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am

Unfortunately for me, I have a bladder the size of a thimble. I usually take a gatorade bottle with. I have had deer walk past as I was making my "deposit".
faraones2112

Unread postby faraones2112 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 am

I drink water like a fish and probably pee three times on a normal sit. Never had a problem from it as long as my aim is true. As others have said it is rather noisy on dry leaves.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 am

I just let it go too. Sometimes I crap out of my stand too. Hahaha!! I'm just kidding
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:52 am

Dewey wrote:Hunt the wind....just don't pee into it. ;)

Haha. Good one
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:06 pm

:think:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:27 pm

WVFrid wrote:I let it go also. Alot of times if I have another tree beside me, I'll try and aim for that so it'll run down the tree instead of falling onto dry leaves.

Exactly what I do and I have had deer later walk by smell it then continue on with zero concern. If you stood on the ground a peed they would freak out because of your ground scent but I don't believe they associate urine deposited from above a coming from a human. Plenty of older bucks have proven that to me over and over.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 pm

I have never peed from a stand I hold it until I leave the woods.

To me if a buck can smell buck doe urine I think it can smell animals or humans.

How well bucks can tell the difference in human or animal pheromone smells apart I do not know. It might think human pee is just another animals.
Build the wall!
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm

I appreciate all the responses. Looks like most have noticed no negative responses. Curious if anyone has ever had a deer react..... I typically hold it if I can but man when the pressure builds I have an awful time sitting still. This makes me ok with potentially letting it go... Downwind! :lol:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I let it fly as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that many medications are filtered out by you kidneys and leave the body in your urine and that can effect the odor.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Zonk54

Unread postby Zonk54 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 pm

I've freshened up a scrape or two :whistle: No licking branch though.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Make it rain on them!

Skin dander is what I think the deer really smell. That and just human odors. It maybe that Dr. Grant but I read where they don't associate urine with the danger of humans. I've also read on here from several guys that actually pee on scrapes as well. I think it kind of goes with when you see a fox or a yote visit a scrape and deer continue to use it, curiousity
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:I have never peed from a stand I hold it until I leave the woods.
To me if a buck can smell buck doe urine I think it can smell animals or humans.

How well bucks can tell the difference in human or animal pheromone smells apart I do not know. It might think human pee is just another animals.

I honestly don't believe that the urine has much to do with it. The urine is just a carrier for the secretions from the glands being released at the animals rut/estrous time.

I've talked with lure makers that make lures for both deer and trapping. The really good ones all said the only animals that can be consistently lured in with straight urine are canines. Other animals especially ungulates. Man made lures need to have alot of glands in them. Especially sex glands. With the best ones using glands from an estrous doe. Likes been said urine starts to break down immediately. Turning to ammonia.

Even in my own limited experience. I never saw a deer react to straight deer pee. Even the so called estrous stuff. But have had several bucks follow scent trails while using lures with plenty of glands in them. Including a couple of Wi. northwoods bruisers and 1 from Montana. Public lands but very secluded remote areas with little to no hunting pressure other than myself.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:11 pm

I used fox urine as a cover up scent 40 years ago. It was urine from a fox farm. I had more fox track me down than I could imagine. So a fox can definitely distinguish fox urine. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
blueKYstream

Unread postby blueKYstream » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:29 pm

I recall using fox urine as a cover scent for a period of time. Not to get off subject, but I had a particular young buck follow my trail for a very long time nose to the ground. He came to my tree and stood on his back legs and licked a branch of the tree I was in before leaving. I think I quit using it when the cap on the bottle opened up in my bag :lol:

Stanley wrote:I used fox urine as a cover up scent 40 years ago. It was urine from a fox farm. I had more fox track me down than I could imagine. So a fox can definitely distinguish fox urine. :think:

Return to “Deer Hunting”