Small Trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowfisher

Small Trees

Unread postby Bowfisher » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 am

How small of a tree have you hunted from and how did you make it happen? I've hunted some fairly small trees but nothing that small really. Have heard stories of guys lashing 2-3 small trunks together. Would just like to hear some more about it. While scouting this year I picked out a small tree I'm planning on hunting from this year during the rut, small and not much cover but it is in THE spot, so I'm going to have to make it work.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Small Trees

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 am

I've hunted out of some tiny trees, but I had the luxury of being the only one hunting the area, had evidence that, it was the tree I needed to be in, and was able to prep it months in advance. In these cases the ladder stand is the easiest option. With a hang on, I fence staple soft wood limbs behind me and to one side for concealment. Also I would recommend in a small tree low stand u set up where u can see the deer approach and have time. If u r low and he sneaks in and the first thing u see is eyeballs u got some serious issues!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 am

I have hunted from 15" Dia. Hemlock tree before. Pretty straight tree had good cover. Problem I did not like is it was very hard to keep the tree from swaying being 240 lbs. No matter how good the cover is, if that is the only tree swaying the will be a red flag IMO.
Extreme Effort Only
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:30 am

A Missouri Redbud tree. I used Buckingham climbing spikes to get up to around 8 feet and hung from an Anderson treesling. I was set up right, but unfortunately blew the shot on a big mature buck.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:38 am

4 inch diameter willow. The buck got behind me I was after and didn't kill him.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:47 am

I came within inches of killing a great buck last year out of a 4" diameter hedge apple tree, with my platform about 18" off the ground. I had good cover from surrounding bush honeysuckle. I shot my fall turkey before the buck showed up and a doe after the buck walked off.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm

I've also heard dan and other guys mention shimmying up thin trees and making do. I think I may have to this year!
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm

I've also heard dan and other guys mention shimmying up thin trees and making do. I think I may have to this year!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:09 pm

A buck I'm hunting beds in a pine thicket . I have a feeling I'll be trying to get my LW into some smaller pines this year . Could be interesting .... :pray:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

I've hunted out of plenty of 6" palm trees. Got a couple spots that is all that is available and it is a sweet little rut funnel. it can get interesting if it is windy.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”