Swamp Creeks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
jman22
500 Club

Swamp Creeks

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:46 am

How do you guys utilize creeks that runs through swamp? I've got a small creek (4-6 ft wide and max 3 ft depth) that runs relatively straight through a swamp I hunt. I'm going to use it to access a few stand locations this yr in the interior of the swamp. Can small creeks like this act as a transition line where bucks may bed if conditions are favorable? I found one bed in relatively close proximity to this creek in the spring. The bed was in a thicker section of the swamp where a small spruce tree had fallen over and the buck was using this to bed against, looking out towards the creek where it opens up slightly. Another questions I have is, do bucks use these creeks frequently as travel corridors to check doe bedding areas, food sources etc.. ? I didn't find an awful lot of tracks along the creek in the spring, but the coyote hunters had gone through this area a few times with dogs prior to my scouting trip.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Swamp Creeks

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:54 am

I'm not sure about flat terrain.

But in Hill country that I hunt. I have never seen a buck bed by a creek. They bed up high looking down toward a creek.

Bucks use creeks a lot there's always scrape lines near creek crossings in the areas I hunt as long as they are thick brush. So yeah they use them to check for does. Probably mostly active at night but a crossing can be a great all day stand if their is very few crossings during the rut.

If the creek is deep a deer trail will run alongside it until it goes to a crossing. Which can run 50-300 yards depending on how rough crossings are. So yeah it's kinda a transition line.

I've seen bucks climb some creek banks that I myself could not climb up. But they usually take the easiest path.

Using creeks to enter your setups is perfect.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:56 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I'm not sure about flat terrain.

But in Hill country that I hunt. I have never seen a buck bed by a creek. They bed up high looking down toward a creek.

Bucks use creeks a lot there's always scrape lines near creek crossings in the areas I hunt as long as they are thick brush. So yeah they use them to check for does. Probably mostly active at night but a crossing can be a great all day stand if their is very few crossings during the rut.

If the creek is deep a deer trail will run alongside it until it goes to a crossing. Which can run 50-300 yards depending on how rough crossings are. So yeah it's kinda a transition line.

I've seen bucks climb some creek banks that I myself could not climb up. But they usually take the easiest path.

Using creeks to enter your setups is perfect.

Thanks for the response. Great hill country advice.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:37 pm

jman22 wrote: How do you guys utilize creeks that runs through swamp? I've got a small creek (4-6 ft wide and max 3 ft depth) that runs relatively straight through a swamp I hunt. I'm going to use it to access a few stand locations this yr in the interior of the swamp. Can small creeks like this act as a transition line where bucks may bed if conditions are favorable? I found one bed in relatively close proximity to this creek in the spring. The bed was in a thicker section of the swamp where a small spruce tree had fallen over and the buck was using this to bed against, looking out towards the creek where it opens up slightly. Another questions I have is, do bucks use these creeks frequently as travel corridors to check doe bedding areas, food sources etc.. ? I didn't find an awful lot of tracks along the creek in the spring, but the coyote hunters had gone through this area a few times with dogs prior to my scouting trip.

Excellent observations on your part. Bucks in large swamps will use creeks... even smaller than you mention, as navigational aids for bedding, rut travel, negotiating between doe areas, food sources and more.

Many times bucks and does will bed along the seemingly small transition of a creek when they find a bedding advantage. It is important to realize that the advantage may or may not be right at the creek. Many of the beds will be just off a short distance, perhaps by a fallen tree or a spot where the wind currents moving through give them an advantage.

Regarding navigation, picture a giant cedar swamp where the buck has almost no visibility due to the dense canopy right down to the ground. A buck's sense of smell is so acute he will use the creeks just like we use highways. He doesn't even have to be within sight of it, he can smell the creek and travel the highway to any of the aforementioned areas.

Many swamp hunters will observe fresh rubs and scrapes along these creeks, near swamp edges and see that the bucks are following them during the rut phases... but few understand that they are utilized throughout the year and can cross miles of giant swamps with highways creeks create.

This is barely scratching the significance of what you have asked, but it hopefully gives you ideas.

Bridge
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Besides all bridge said if u could use for access to your spots I would!!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
jman22 wrote: How do you guys utilize creeks that runs through swamp? I've got a small creek (4-6 ft wide and max 3 ft depth) that runs relatively straight through a swamp I hunt. I'm going to use it to access a few stand locations this yr in the interior of the swamp. Can small creeks like this act as a transition line where bucks may bed if conditions are favorable? I found one bed in relatively close proximity to this creek in the spring. The bed was in a thicker section of the swamp where a small spruce tree had fallen over and the buck was using this to bed against, looking out towards the creek where it opens up slightly. Another questions I have is, do bucks use these creeks frequently as travel corridors to check doe bedding areas, food sources etc.. ? I didn't find an awful lot of tracks along the creek in the spring, but the coyote hunters had gone through this area a few times with dogs prior to my scouting trip.

Excellent observations on your part. Bucks in large swamps will use creeks... even smaller than you mention, as navigational aids for bedding, rut travel, negotiating between doe areas, food sources and more.

Many times bucks and does will bed along the seemingly small transition of a creek when they find a bedding advantage. It is important to realize that the advantage may or may not be right at the creek. Many of the beds will be just off a short distance, perhaps by a fallen tree or a spot where the wind currents moving through give them an advantage.

Regarding navigation, picture a giant cedar swamp where the buck has almost no visibility due to the dense canopy right down to the ground. A buck's sense of smell is so acute he will use the creeks just like we use highways. He doesn't even have to be within sight of it, he can smell the creek and travel the highway to any of the aforementioned areas.

Many swamp hunters will observe fresh rubs and scrapes along these creeks, near swamp edges and see that the bucks are following them during the rut phases... but few understand that they are utilized throughout the year and can cross miles of giant swamps with highways creeks create.

This is barely scratching the significance of what you have asked, but it hopefully gives you ideas.

Bridge

Nice response!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 pm

TNstalker wrote:Besides all bridge said if u could use for access to your spots I would!!

absolutely!! Take advantage of leaveing ground out of the picture as much as possible, its a big advantage and keeps the area more fresh when its time to move!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Regarding navigation, picture a giant cedar swamp where the buck has almost no visibility due to the dense canopy right down to the ground. A buck's sense of smell is so acute he will use the creeks just like we use highways. He doesn't even have to be within sight of it, he can smell the creek and travel the highway to any of the aforementioned

Great info Bridge, thanks! Never would have even considered a buck using the smell of a creek for navifation. Part of this swamp is incredibly thick so it makes perfect sense that deer would use the creek for travel. I also found two dead bucks along the creek while scouting which I suppose could hint toward bedding ( or maybe they were dehydrated from blood loss if shot??). Anyways I'm definitely going to pay more attention to this little creek and how the deer use it. It's also going to be a dynamite entrance route from the rd to a few of my stand locations.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:52 am

Interesting thread

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”