Wind help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Wind help!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 am

I've got a situation brewing I just can't quite crack. Got a 60 acre property I ran cams on last year but never hunted, and it's got acouple toads cruising it. Problem is 40 acres is overgrown cow pasture with scattered cedar, the back of property is a standard ridge and drainage. To start, I have to enter with wind at my back, which I'm fine with I found a route where I can angle directly in. The major prob is I can't get my wind out of the valley and no trees tall enough for me to blow over. I've been out there 5 times throwing milk weed in every wind situation there is, this will be a evening spot and high winds swirl back to the approach, light winds just drop straight down and no Bueno. Due to the fact I can only get about 10 ft off the ground don't think the loss of foliage is not gonna help. So, right now I'm looking at eithier trying a pop up directly in drainage, or trying to bait em right at the top portion of the ridge where on a steady wind I will just miss em. Any opinions welcomed, I'm stumped.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Wind help!

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:46 am

You mentioned it being an evening sit - under those conditions id make it a morning set only. If thats not possible then have to take my chances or back off to the closest favorable wind location. W/o a map setup im not confident in anything for sure except morning hunt only. IDK what to tell you about the baiting thing... if your able to do it then ya most would manipulate the area in their favor. If youve been out throwing milkweed, even once - bc alot of guys dont test that, then id say trust your gut over what anyone else says.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:58 am

Darkknight54 wrote:You mentioned it being an evening sit - under those conditions id make it a morning set only. If thats not possible then have to take my chances or back off to the closest favorable wind location. W/o a map setup im not confident in anything for sure except morning hunt only. IDK what to tell you about the baiting thing... if your able to do it then ya most would manipulate the area in their favor. If youve been out throwing milkweed, even once - bc alot of guys dont test that, then id say trust your gut over what anyone else says.

Mornings no good cause they use the backside of ridge which I don't have access. I can beat the wind until prime time but then the way thermals follow the land I can't find a spot where atleast the deer gets by me b4 he hits it. I hate to have to cut bait at prime time and that's also when my cams showed best chance.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:You mentioned it being an evening sit - under those conditions id make it a morning set only. If thats not possible then have to take my chances or back off to the closest favorable wind location. W/o a map setup im not confident in anything for sure except morning hunt only. IDK what to tell you about the baiting thing... if your able to do it then ya most would manipulate the area in their favor. If youve been out throwing milkweed, even once - bc alot of guys dont test that, then id say trust your gut over what anyone else says.

Mornings no good cause they use the backside of ridge which I don't have access. I can beat the wind until prime time but then the way thermals follow the land I can't find a spot where atleast the deer gets by me b4 he hits it. I hate to have to cut bait at prime time and that's also when my cams showed best chance.

Hey bud! It sounds like you have a good handle on your spot. At least you know what you cannot get away with. That sounds like really tough situation especially w a property line. Like I said before w the morning hunt thing, it can be a tree on the line and you smoke him walking onto your ground so he runs that way as well. Or setup right over the bed man. That one guy up in NY or NJ goes in hours before daylight and sits there till its light enough to shoot them. One issue there is that it pays to hunt high if you cant be down wind of morning entry. The other thing w what you mentioned is doing your set at prime time so that you may cheat it. Only issue is the obvious, will he get up early and catch you? W/o a map setup idk for sure man im just guessing for ya, but I wouldnt upload anything map wise to the actual forums anymore... too many lurkers now a days... :snooty:

I follow the guideline of tough wind conditions or cant approach w/o being busted means a morning hunt is on the ballot. If that cant happen then yea its time to rack the brain for ideas. Many times we are over thinking it but you are doing the work to check the wind conditions. Some guys talk a big game, but dont do that . Yet when there is wind or thermal questions, most are not wanting to comment and be seen as wrong. Maybe instead of bait you could create a mock scrape in a spot that is favorable? Iv never tried it but alot of guys talk about it man. They say that gland stuff for a licking branch is the ticket.

Thanks for asking about my season. Im prepped and ready. My wife got into a college coarse so my season took a hit but its ok bc next year she will let me run wild. Im setup for a draw hunt opening day and im onto the biggest buck iv ever tracked to his bed. It will be tough to get in but there is only 1 tree to kill him out of (unless I hack out a small forest of shooting lanes). Just found him 2 weeks ago so I was able to get the intel w him still in velvet. After that I have 2 bucks on public I want to try and go after, plus 2 great pieces of private. Im prepped for my best season yet but looks like time will not be my friend.

My original goal was to go for 3 bucks! 1 draw hunt, 1 archery, 1 rifle. Now ill be happy to get one honestly. After the bad season I had last year w losing bucks or missing - iv got alot of aggression built up so i feel bad for the first one that walks by. :violin:

I wanted to know your story man...
What state you hunting?
How old are you?
Whats your name?

You make me want to read your posts and based on what iv seen you get it. Also youre able to help new guys. I personally like your out of the box thinking about subjects. Though I think some are rough around the edges, doesnt mean youre wrong just not the norm for this place. Im gonna add ya as a friend so I an hit you up more often

~Josh
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 am

Darkknight54 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

Hey bud! It sounds like you have a good handle on your spot. At least you know what you cannot get away with. That sounds like really tough situation especially w a property line. Like I said before w the morning hunt thing, it can be a tree on the line and you smoke him walking onto your ground so he runs that way as well. Or setup right over the bed man. That one guy up in NY or NJ goes in hours before daylight and sits there till its light enough to shoot them. One issue there is that it pays to hunt high if you cant be down wind of morning entry. The other thing w what you mentioned is doing your set at prime time so that you may cheat it. Only issue is the obvious, will he get up early and catch you? W/o a map setup idk for sure man im just guessing for ya, but I wouldnt upload anything map wise to the actual forums anymore... too many lurkers now a days... :snooty:

I follow the guideline of tough wind conditions or cant approach w/o being busted means a morning hunt is on the ballot. If that cant happen then yea its time to rack the brain for ideas. Many times we are over thinking it but you are doing the work to check the wind conditions. Some guys talk a big game, but dont do that . Yet when there is wind or thermal questions, most are not wanting to comment and be seen as wrong. Maybe instead of bait you could create a mock scrape in a spot that is favorable? Iv never tried it but alot of guys talk about it man. They say that gland stuff for a licking branch is the ticket.

Thanks for asking about my season. Im prepped and ready. My wife got into a college coarse so my season took a hit but its ok bc next year she will let me run wild. Im setup for a draw hunt opening day and im onto the biggest buck iv ever tracked to his bed. It will be tough to get in but there is only 1 tree to kill him out of (unless I hack out a small forest of shooting lanes). Just found him 2 weeks ago so I was able to get the intel w him still in velvet. After that I have 2 bucks on public I want to try and go after, plus 2 great pieces of private. Im prepped for my best season yet but looks like time will not be my friend.

My original goal was to go for 3 bucks! 1 draw hunt, 1 archery, 1 rifle. Now ill be happy to get one honestly. After the bad season I had last year w losing bucks or missing - iv got alot of aggression built up so i feel bad for the first one that walks by. :violin:

What state you hunting?
How old are you?
Whats your name?

You make me want to read your posts and based on what iv seen you get it. Also youre able to help new guys. I personally like your out of the box thinking about subjects. Though I think some are rough around the edges, doesnt mean youre wrong just not the norm for this place. Im gonna add ya as a friend so I an hit you up more often

~Josh

Clay, from Tx 36.. Your not wrong about the morning cause I did a crappy job of painting a pic of property. A basic east-west ridge. Property line is on north side & the high side of drainage where I'm guessing they r traveling in the morning. I have a majority SE wind here. No bedding on this property buck wise. I'm assuming does randomly bed were the cedars meet the hardwood ridge on downwind side. I've tried everything I can think brotha only other option is purposely laying down scent hoping they will loop on my side, but it's the upwind side and the downwind side is not hunted so it's a crap shoot.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:02 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

What state you hunting?
How old are you?
Whats your name?

~Josh

Clay, from Tx 36.. Your not wrong about the morning cause I did a crappy job of painting a pic of property. A basic east-west ridge. Property line is on north side & the high side of drainage where I'm guessing they r traveling in the morning. I have a majority SE wind here. No bedding on this property buck wise. I'm assuming does randomly bed were the cedars meet the hardwood ridge on downwind side. I've tried everything I can think brotha only other option is purposely laying down scent hoping they will loop on my side, but it's the upwind side and the downwind side is not hunted so it's a crap shoot.

Good to know your name Clay! TX? Wow man no wonder you having a tough go! If they arent bedding on the property then I like your baiting idea for sure. Now that I know your in TX hunting the bating makes alot more sense. I like the does bedding tho. I put alot of weight into doe beds bc there is a certain point when I stop hunting buck beds and switch to does. Right on top of them or between bedding. Very effective. That sounds tough man but its all doable. Figuring out the timing is everything for my plans.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”