Going out of state to hunt the rut.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BamaLonewolf24!

Going out of state to hunt the rut.

Unread postby BamaLonewolf24! » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm going to Kentucky in November to hunt the rut and it's a new piece of public land that I haven't hunted yet. It's real hilly and some AG feilds. I I will be for 5 days Bowhunting. What steps would y'all take. Scout for one whole day and then go off what you fount to hunt the remaining 4 days or scout just one moring then hunt the rest or the time? Need some advise. Dan please comment on this. Thanks in advance. The dates are November 8,9,10,11,12.

BradC36

Re: Going out of state to hunt the rut.

Unread postby BradC36 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:32 am

Personally I would scout all day and bring a stand with so that if I was compelled to hunt something by the afternoon I could. I know some guys would probably scout even more but it depends on the size of the piece and how much of it you can eliminate through research prior to going.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 am

What I do is pick a area that has all the ingredients you are looking for first. Then then it depends on when I get there. If I've got an afternoon I scout my way in to a spot I've picked from maps and hunt it that night and the next morning. Usually about 1-2 o'clock I break down and move to the next spot based on intel. I may only move 50-100yrds. It depends on the deer. Do what they tell you to do. You've only got 5 days. If my first sit is a morning sit I will sit somewhere I can see . Watch the deer and adjust. Don't be scared to try something.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 am

I'd cyber scout as much of the tract as you can before your trip and hone in on what you think are the best spots, which to me would consist of 1. difficult access 2. preferred topo features (points, top 1/3 of steep drainages, saddles, benches, etc.) I would try and find a minimum of 10 promising looking spots, and I'd plan on half of them not panning out for some reason or the other (hunter pressure, boots on the ground doesn't confirm an area that looked good on the map). I'd probably spend as long as it took (but not more than one day) trying to speed scout (on foot) the spots I cyber scouted. Going from point A to B to C and so on. I'd also have some way (GPS preferably) to mark anything worthwhile (hot sign) I saw on the way from point A to B to C. Also, I'd definitely take my bow while scouting, because its the rut and anything can happen.

After the first day of speed scouting the cyber scouted spots, I'd hunt the best looking spot the next day, the second best looking spot the day after, the third best looking spot after that until I shot a buck or ran out of time. If you only find 2 or 3 good spots, I wouldnt be afraid to sit them back to back during the rut, where I normally wouldnt early season.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:42 am

cyber scout
cyber scout
cyber scout
cyber scout
cyber scout
cyber scout

When I got there I would scout my way in to my pre determined location. If there was really hot sign I would set up on it where it was. If all my predetermined cyber scouting was done in one general location, I would stage hunt it in. You will be stacking it as you go. Each day will give you better odds if you do this. remember, any walking you do is gonna let the buck know you were there and there is a good chance he will find your scent trail after hours. don't go walking an area, unless you plan on killing him there that same day.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 am

I'm kind of eager to rut hunt Kentucky someday too. It just looks so easy to cyber scout and hunt. Huge tracts of public with so many converging ridgelines. I'd just pick a few leeward spots where several ridges meet and hunt those areas. All day sits and maybe a different spot each day. I'm cyber scouting it right now and its so easy to see areas like this. Dan has a video on YouTube where he does just this and connects with a nice buck. Maybe I need a Kentucky license now UGH!! :L:
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 am

How much is a non resident Kentucky license? Including a buck tag?
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 am

Cyberscout as many properties as you can. You will need multiple options if one area doesn't look good or has alot of pressure. Once there scout your best areas that are not being hunted. If the action is slow then move. 5 days is tough to get it done but not impossible. Set realistic goals based on the area and your time-frame.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:40 am

rfickes87 wrote:How much is a non resident Kentucky license? Including a buck tag?

$260 I believe. Good for any weapon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”