City Limits Deer!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mrjbigfoot
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MikeRTJohnson

City Limits Deer!

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Pulled off the road on the way home from work to take some pictures of 11 deer that were out in a small field, inside the city limits of Columbus, Ohio. The one buck should be pretty nice next year.

There's 11 deer in this picture

;)

PLB
500 Club

Re: City Limits Deer!

Unread postby PLB » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Very neat! 8-) Awesome pics :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Wow, that buck must have some excellent genetics! Looks VERY young to me.
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 pm

PASwamper wrote:Wow, that buck must have some excellent genetics! Looks VERY young to me.

I'd agree, looks like he may only be a 2 & 1/2 yr old, maybe 3 & 1/2 but we see a lot of 2 & 1/2 yr olds with 9 or 10 points in areas with good food. ;)
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Nice pics thanks for sharing. 8-)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Any chance you can get on their to look for sheds? I have permission to search for sheds, practice calling (turkeys/geese) and hike on plenty of farms in the city limits here in WI. The landowners that I know don't hunt the land but often there's some snot who thinks he owns the place with permission to hunt them and getting actual hunting permission is near impossible. Best of luck but that buck will be a beauty...imagine if he makes it to 4 1/2....SLOB :shock:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Cool pics Biggie.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Cool pictures!! Love to see that boy in a couple more years.
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:24 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Any chance you can get on their to look for sheds? I have permission to search for sheds, practice calling (turkeys/geese) and hike on plenty of farms in the city limits here in WI. The landowners that I know don't hunt the land but often there's some snot who thinks he owns the place with permission to hunt them and getting actual hunting permission is near impossible. Best of luck but that buck will be a beauty...imagine if he makes it to 4 1/2....SLOB :shock:

Technically, he should die of old age because there's no hunting allowed in the city limits of Columbus. I'm not a big shed hunter, always just seem to be to busy with work & kids to make it out there.. The area these deer are in is only a few miles away from township farmland where hunting is legal so depending on how far bucks wander during rut, they could get harvested but I'd bet there's poaching going on to.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:32 am

Is that right?? What about Steve Esker, the guy who has killed 3 - 200"+ bucks by hunting in the Columbus City limits? His brother and a few buddys whack 180's like its nothing, and he gives those deer away. ALL suburban hunting.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... 1001372837

Read the caption on pick # 5. Im sure youve heard of this guy living down the road from him??

Columbus is a gold mine of untold porportions in my eyes....
You can't kill em on the couch
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:16 am

Brandon wrote:Is that right?? What about Steve Esker, the guy who has killed 3 - 200"+ bucks by hunting in the Columbus City limits? His brother and a few buddys whack 180's like its nothing, and he gives those deer away. ALL suburban hunting.

Read the caption on pick # 5. Im sure youve heard of this guy living down the road from him??

Actually Esker's bucks are all killed on a small tract by a metro park in Pickerington. A town just east of the city. If you notice Esker admits to shooting the buck over a pile of apples. He does this to draw the bucks off the metro parks property (where they're protected) and onto his small slice of heaven. This and genetics is partly the reason they shoot so many big deer around this area every year.

I hunt all around Columbus but it's difficult to get permission to hunt on some of these city tracts where it's legal. Most of the big deer are living in woodlots behind subdivisions and such which makes poaching very difficult and allows the deer to grow old and big. It's fun to get permission to shed hunt them but it's also disappointing knowing you'll never have a chance at killing him...
76chevy
500 Club

Unread postby 76chevy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:23 am

nice buck!
". . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun." --Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 am

DMiller6868 wrote:
Brandon wrote:Is that right?? What about Steve Esker, the guy who has killed 3 - 200"+ bucks by hunting in the Columbus City limits? His brother and a few buddys whack 180's like its nothing, and he gives those deer away. ALL suburban hunting.

Actually Esker's bucks are all killed on a small tract by a metro park in Pickerington. A town just east of the city. If you notice Esker admits to shooting the buck over a pile of apples. He does this to draw the bucks off the metro parks property (where they're protected) and onto his small slice of heaven. This and genetics is partly the reason they shoot so many big deer around this area every year.

I hunt all around Columbus but it's difficult to get permission to hunt on some of these city tracts where it's legal. Most of the big deer are living in woodlots behind subdivisions and such which makes poaching very difficult and allows the deer to grow old and big. It's fun to get permission to shed hunt them but it's also disappointing knowing you'll never have a chance at killing him...

While I dont doubt you, every single article about any of his bucks, or all of his bucks specifically says in 1 place or another "inside columbus city limits." I also know he/they have a few other spots than just 1. Heres another that says the same thing... http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... elicopter-
Theres a way to hunt in the City, and they found it.
You can't kill em on the couch
mrjbigfoot

Unread postby mrjbigfoot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 am

There are a lot of other suburb cities in and around the city of Columbus and many of them do allow bow hunting. I actually inquired with the city of Columbus Police Dept about the potential to bow hunt on some land that is owned by the city that has a bunch of deer on it and I was informed that the law is no hunting, including bow hunting. But after reading the caption and description on picture number 5, it does sound a lot like this property but this property is no where near Pickerington.
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 am

Brandon wrote:
DMiller6868 wrote:

While I dont doubt you, every single article about any of his bucks, or all of his bucks specifically says in 1 place or another "inside columbus city limits." I also know he/they have a few other spots than just 1. Heres another that says the same thing... http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... elicopter-
Theres a way to hunt in the City, and they found it.

Yeah they've certainly figured it out. I'm not impressed though shooting big deer over a pile of apples. While it is legal, it just doesn't impress me as much as other guys who don't bait. Adam Hays is imo a better hunter who also knocks down big deer around the Columbus area (although I haven't heard from him this year).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”