What backpack do you use when packing in a LW stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeB
500 Club

Re: What backpack do you use when packing in a LW stand?

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:29 am

Cloth gets strapped too my stand.

Most people on here just throw their stuff in their pockets. I tried to do that but it's too much of a pain for me, I always forget or loose the few things I need to take with me and I like having them all in 1 place so I have been going back and forth between a ribz front pack and a tiny fanny pack. I've been leaning more towards the ribz because it holds everything in easy reach. The fanny I would strap to my stand and have to take my stand off my back to get into it.

I have a Leech pack but it didn't fit my style so if anyone wants it make me an offer. It's brand new I never took it into the woods.

Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:52 am

I don't have a Lone Wolf stand but this is the backpack I have,
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... lsrc=aw.ds

The one I have is an older version or maybe a lighter weight one because I don't have the belt pockets.
I have a Summit Viper stand and am able to use the chest strap to attach it to the base of the stand.
The nice thing is I can attach my bow to the pack which eliminates the need for a draw string.

Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:08 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:I use the leach as well but my bungees are about worn out now

You can replace them, I did mine last year.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:10 am

Lots of different options.

My system has been a fishing vest to organize all the little things and keep from forgetting them. My extra cloths get bungeed to stand. And the stand has the molle waist belt to distribute the load.

When I first tried being mobile I bought a Sitka toolbucket backpack. The gimmick for it was the belt/shoulder straps/quasi-frame would unzip and allow the stand to be sandwiched inside. From using it and trying to connect/disconnect the internal straps and clips I ended up frustrated. Nice concept but it was a headache in the field.

Honestly I like the stand as a great frame to utilize for belt and shoulder strap mounting. Then using anything you have for storage on top works well.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Thinking about the bone out and carry method this year too. For that I'll use a Vietnam Era Alicepack, with stand and sticks strapped to it. Aluminum packframe. Spent $27 on ebay for it. Not super modern but it's roomy as , fairly comfortable, loads feels fairly light with waist belt used.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

I like a medium sized packed, I hate digging for stuff and not having everything easily to access.Tried out a few different packs still looking for the perfect pack. Bought a Tenzing 14.5 it's a Cabelas exclusive to try out this year. Has an expandable pouch I plan on using for my extra layers. Had a badlands source that was just a little to small but liked the lay out of it. Probably my favorite was a Easton sling pack that I got from camofire a few years ago but the waist belt clip broke. Hoping this Tenzing wI'll be a good replacement.
Tjterry
Facebook: Trevor Terry

Unread postby Tjterry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:30 pm

I've been using a Badlands Dioblo for years , but I'm trying to cut weight on what I carry. That pack empty weighs almost 5 pounds. For this year I stole a mess backpack from one of my kids. It weighs almost nothing and can fit my bibs, jacket, and other things I carry in it. I don't have much hope for it lasting long but there only a few bucks. The down side is that a lot of the places I hunt, if I kill , I quarter them up and carry it out. So it's gonna cost me an extra trip to go get my big pack.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

I carry a small fanny pack. I wear it in front. Works well with a lone wolf and sticks.I also like cargo pants for the extra room if I need extra items. I usually only take what I'm gonna use.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm

If it don't fit in a pocket or bungee to my stand, I don't bring it with me.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm

I used to bring a backpack now if it doesn't fit in my pocket it stays in the SUV.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 pm

The smallest pack possible that still holds all your equipment
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Primos bowhunting vest
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Make a list of what you absolutely have to have and will use to KILL A DEER, and find the pack that holds all of it 8-)

I carry a small badlands fanny pack since I really enjoy having water on the stand with me. And I hate stuff in my pockets. But if needed, all of it could go in a pocket.

GPS clips onto harness. Phone goes in my pocket. Quart size zip loc bag holding tags, pen, extra batteries, flashlight and extra bag for phone go in pack with my water, thermacell, compass and extra lw strap, and extra battery for my phone. Could get by without the thermacell, battery and strap, but I didn't pre scout my areas, I can't stand swatting bugs, and I am always checking in with my dad on the hunt. I wear a sweatshirt so my phone can easily go into a pocket with little movement. The battery is an agreement with my dad because if something happens, nobody else is around us to help.

Knife and gloves are in a door in the truck, and a sled and cart are sitting in the garage at the cabin 15 minutes away. Along with a couple cold beverages if the occasion arises
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:25 pm

X2 Hawthorne...
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:46 am

I think you'll answer your own question after making a few of these hikes. I've also started limiting what i need to take. A small pack or fanny is becoming my go to. With all the camera gear and stand your already carrying i doubt you'll want a big pack to carry a bunch more stuff. Ultimately you'll need to try stuff out and find what works best for your situation as its different for everyone

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”