Buck bedding in the north woods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cmbrown337

Buck bedding in the north woods

Unread postby cmbrown337 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 am

Hey everyone I am new to the forum and new to trying to find Buck beds. Where are good places to look for buck beds in the north woods. I hunt public land in Northeast Wisconsin(northern Oconto County). I also hunt some farm land in Brown and Manitowoc Counties but it is a little easier to figure out their movements and patterns there.

So back to the north woods questions on where is a good place to locate buck beds. The terrain is generally pretty flat, there are some hills but not to the magnitude of western Wisconsin. Where I hunt is your typical northwoods Wisconsin location. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to participating more in the forum!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck bedding in the north woods

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:31 am

cmbrown337 wrote:Hey everyone I am new to the forum and new to trying to find Buck beds. Where are good places to look for buck beds in the north woods. I hunt public land in Northeast Wisconsin(northern Oconto County). I also hunt some farm land in Brown and Manitowoc Counties but it is a little easier to figure out their movements and patterns there.

So back to the north woods questions on where is a good place to locate buck beds. The terrain is generally pretty flat, there are some hills but not to the magnitude of western Wisconsin. Where I hunt is your typical northwoods Wisconsin location. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I look forward to participating more in the forum!

1st thing I would look for is wet thick areas... swamps. If that don't work out look at edges and elevation in or near thick cover. Wet areas receive the most bedding cause deer rarely get bothered if they find a dry thick spot surrounded by water.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:11 am

Even small hills or ridges can provide the little bit of elevation they are looking for, I have had some luck with smaller hills or swamp island covered with a mess of blow downs. They love to use them as cover because they are paint to try and get around, as lease for us humans and maybe some predators. Other than that like Dan said focus on the swamps, remote islands, points, beaver dams, and other terribly nasty areas.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:38 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17410

If your hunting big woods, I'd highly recommend this thread!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”