Wet Ditches - Impact on Scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Rich M
500 Club

Wet Ditches - Impact on Scent

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm in FL - Doing my aerial & topo map reviews - the hunting area has a 5 ft elevation change.

There are a series of excavated ditches - they have humps of dirt along the length - some are 5+/- ft across, others 20 ft across. A couple ditches end in cover, along the edge of brush to marsh grass transition, which makes them a potential pinch point - a target for boots-on-the-ground scouting in the not too distant future - hoping this Saturday.

Does anyone have any experience with stagnant ditches and how they pull or push scent streams?

Should I treat them like a pond in that they may pull scent and send it sky high in the evening?

My only real experience with ditches impacting scent was in SC last year - this little 3 ft wide ditch was a wind tunnel that totally separated my scent from the opposite side and was awesome.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: Wet Ditches - Impact on Scent

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 am

Probably depends on how much water is in the marsh. 6" of water in the marsh will get real hot during bow season and that ditch would be cooler so it would pull toward the marsh. The other thing is if the marsh is near one of the big lakes around the lake thermal may be stronger depending on what's going on.

It's real tough early season because of the constant wind shift with the sea breezes. Late October is easier once we get more frontal boundaries pushing. Here is usually NE or NW depending on where the front is. Its easier to predict thermal movement then. Early bow personally I like to just stay in the water.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Wet Ditches - Impact on Scent

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 am

That was kinda where I was going with this - sitting in the water or on immediately next to it on the edge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”