Swamp bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

pfrizelleSC

Swamp bed

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:38 pm

I have a really good buck's bed pegged. I am hunting a cypress swamp that rises to a block of planted pines that are 12-15 years old and freshly burned. The pines sit to the north and the swamp to the south. I access the swamp via Joseph rd in Greeleyville SC (if you want to take a look on google earth). Mt Hope swamp runs directly into Joseph rd as the swamp heads west. There is a standing corn field across Joseph rd to the west. I found a doe bedding area in the briars between the pines and the swamp. Directly downwind ( on a NNE wind) 50 yards on a high spot in the hswamp I found a buck bed with two nice sheds in it. I have 3 nice buck on camera in this area. One is a real one, my dilemma, is he bedding there during the rut because of the does, or early season because the standing corn is very close, or is this his main bed beacuse his sheds are there? On any wind from the north it blows the whole block right to him and he can hear anything coming from behind him through the water to the south. The water gets float your hat deep 50 yds into the swamp. I will walk the waters muck edge from west to east to access when I go in to hunt him. Just looking for a little advice on what may be the best way to kill him. It's a private piece and the other hunters are food plot, road/bait hunters. So I feel I can take my time and wait for the perfect NE WIND on a good cold front. I have two different trees picked out.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Swamp bed

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:14 pm

Kind of hard to put the pieces together without knowing the area. But, youi know the bed gets used about the time they shed. The question is, does it get used earlier? Probably gotta throw a stand at it to find out, or creep the perimeter for active sign.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Sounds like you won't be the only one enjoying your hard work this fall , just sayin
pfrizelleSC

Unread postby pfrizelleSC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks Dan. I am headed up next week to do some glassing. Our season starts Aug 15 the chances of me having a North wind early are slim. We have had a cold front with a NNE WIND push through the last couple days so I am hoping that he has been showing up on camera around the perimeter. There are def a few older rub tree within a 30 yd radius of the bed. He travels with two other bucks in his bachelor group, so I am hoping they aren't bedded on my access side. I will keep you posted. On another note, last season was the first season that I really started to hunt the bedding area aggressively beast style. I really struggled, but I did have two hunts where I had encounters with mature bucks. One I got busted drawing I had him a 16 yds through a thicket and I don't know how but he picked me out but he did. And circled downwind and blew me out the tree. The other time I was set up on a specific buck bed and watched him lay down in it but couldn't shoot through the thick stuff. I had to watch him bedded for a while and he got up and walked out my life through the thicket. I have killed my fair share of young bucks and does but never a good one. I just want to say thanks for putting all the info out there for people like me who have been trying to do it with out any guidance. It has def changed my approach ad the way I hunt. My goal this year is a mature deer for my area, which as far as antler score goes is on the lower side in comparison to the rest of the country , but this new farm I have access too is def in the right area so hopefully I will get my shot. I will def keep keep grinding until then. Thanks again man.
Patrick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”