Mental checklist

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Mental checklist

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:44 am

UofLbowhunter and I have been really checking out a new public swamp. I think southernman is going in there with us too. We have cyber scouted this spot so much that I wanted to make a mental checklist to make sure we didn't get lost between what we expect and reality. He thought this might help some of the new guys out.

Things to consiser/keep in mind.

1. Pressure will have an effect on deer movement and bedding. Though we can anticipate where most of the pressure will probably be there are many unknowns, and conditions will change.
2. There may be places close to access that never gets hunted and could be phenomenal. Never overlook an easier spot.
3. Water levels will dictate how the deer use the property. Not only can that fluctuate year to year, but it can also change several times in a season. If keeping a journal always note water conditions as patterns may arise from water alone.
4. The property is large enough and has enough varied access to always hunt and access with the wind in mind.
5. There is a tremendous amount of water and slough ditches that don't show up on aerials due to tree cover. This means two things. Scouting should be conducted in all areas and always be prepared going into the swamp. It's a maze of slough ditches and most of it looks the same. Be careful and always have an emergency plan.
6. We have study this area a lot and have made assumptions and formulated game plans. When actually in the area hunting or scouting don't assume anything. Let the sign and your gut tell you where to go. There will be many places with subtle details you can only find with boots on the ground and these areas usually are the keys to big bucks.
7. It's hunting. Have fun and enjoy it.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Mental checklist

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 am

Good checklist.

I'll add one.

If it sucks to access its probably worth looking at! Since I got into this beast thing I have seen over and over in the swamp if it physically sucks to get to it is probably well worth the effort.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am

I agree with that. Most people are too lazy to get in the tough spots.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 am

I'm a find the goods in any situation type. If the hunting stinks with the amount of water present the fishing might be phenomenal ;) with the amount of work it looks like y'all have put in, I'm hoping one of ya zip a swamp donkey!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for posting this list, great info! Hope y'all all get one!!
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:38 pm

I hope so. We might get lucky this fall but we plan to scout hard this winter. Next year hopefully we will have more figured out.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:16 am

Great list :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”