2017 Going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Josh_S
500 Club
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:30 am
Location: western PA
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:51 pm

The bends in the creek on the map you posted would be a good place to start I would think. It looks to have lots of S-beds and is very brushy, that's a good thing. Do a search on this site for "creeks" and "river bottom." You should find tons of good info and examples on how bucks bed based on wind, how bucks travel in search for bedded does during the rut, how to access, and how to set up. I would also recommend Stanley's podcast on hunting river bottoms.


User avatar
DeerDylan
500 Club
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:17 am
Location: North East
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:25 am

First off I'd just like to say that 15 years without a deer and you're still trying means you have some grit.

Are you seeing deer while you're hunting?

This isn't meant to sound rude but what you're doing isn't working so I would start from square one and stop hunting how you have been.

I looked up the area that you're hunting. You have a ton of transition lines and a big area to work with. Read some old threads on swamp/marsh hunting, wind/thermals and bedding. Most of this stuff is geared towards mature bucks but in turn will get you on deer in general. Get on Google Earth and cyber scout that place then walk those transitions and islands that you've marked.

I think you'd benefit big time by buying all of Dan's dvds but if money is tight then get the "Swamp Bedding" DVD. It shows you step by step how to cyber scout, scout and hunt down public land deer in a swamp setting.

Here is the link to the All Time Best Tactical Threads:

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471

Here's a link to Dan's 2016 swamp hunt:

https://youtu.be/dXpXH1yxeB8


Remember this one thing: pressured deer spend the majority of daylight in their bedding areas. Hunt them where they are.
User avatar
DaveT1963
500 Club
Posts: 4896
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am
Location: South
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am

If I read your original post correctly you have not yet taken a deer in 15 years? If so then my advice would be to vacate the pursuit of big bucks and focus first on getting a doe or younger buck or two under your belt. if a big boy comes along that awesome but I think you need to have a few kills under your belt so you can get a sense of confidence and experience. Setting up on a buck is only one part, executing the shot, learning when to draw or not draw is all gained from experience.

So my advice would be to get mobile, focus on overall deer/doe concentrations and go have some fun and get a few under your belt.
User avatar
wmahunter
500 Club
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 am
Location: West Central Florida
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 am

Been there myself many years ago I hunt public land in West Central florida. Sometimes the sign is there but the bucks are real hard to come buy. First time I started hunting a person told me where to sit. The question I had was why here. Then a long time glut before I got my first 2 than another glut. finding the bucks is one thing, closing the deal well that is up to the individual.

Best thing I learned how to use was a topo map. This helps you find how the deer travel the area and can help locate possible bedding areas. There is lots of information on here on what to look for. Start studying the topo map of the area. See the information autumn ninja posted about topos. It is real informative.
User avatar
Newhunter
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621
Location: Kentwood, Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby Newhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 am

Rich M wrote:It took me 7 years to get my first deer with a gun, 10-12 years to get my first with a bow. The Beast is a great place to learn, few folks tell it like it is and the Beast is an exception.

That is a nice looking piece of property. It has a transition zone between woods and marsh, has islands in the marsh, also check out the individual big trees in the marsh.

Get out and find where they sleep. Find the busy areas on the transition. Shoot the first legal deer that steps in range - it will teach you a lot.

Get Dan's marsh video.


Where do I find the video?
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
User avatar
wmahunter
500 Club
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 am
Location: West Central Florida
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:12 am

Newhunter wrote:
Rich M wrote:It took me 7 years to get my first deer with a gun, 10-12 years to get my first with a bow. The Beast is a great place to learn, few folks tell it like it is and the Beast is an exception.

That is a nice looking piece of property. It has a transition zone between woods and marsh, has islands in the marsh, also check out the individual big trees in the marsh.

Get out and find where they sleep. Find the busy areas on the transition. Shoot the first legal deer that steps in range - it will teach you a lot.

Get Dan's marsh video.


Where do I find the video?


Hunting Beast Store -- Buy the cd's they are full if very good information
User avatar
Newhunter
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621
Location: Kentwood, Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby Newhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 am

Thank you!! :dance:
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
User avatar
justdirtyfun
500 Club
Posts: 2543
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:10 pm
Location: Misery, previously Hellinois
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 am

You showed dedication so far. That is awesome.

Do you think a local Park is an option for deer observation? If you can watch deer without the hunting pressure you can pick up on their tendencies. A tail flick is normally followed by a step or movement.

Another example is walking a safe distance from a deer and watch movement. If the winds are blowing towards the deer you will get a reaction when they scent you.

While hunting, the first priority will usually be edge related. Good edge to worry about is an interior edge since field edge is less likely to have daylight movement.

This site contains THE BEST HUNTING INFORMATION.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
User avatar
NorthStar
500 Club
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:43 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37
Location: Southern Minnesota
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:45 am

Ack wrote:If you're still going for your first deer, there is no good reason why you need to hold out for a buck only. Get a doe or two under your belt and learn the motions of what it takes to actually kill a deer......any deer, and then move on to a buck. As mentioned, read and soak up as much info as you can here on the Beast and you should get on the right track. Good luck!


This is really solid advice. I am on my third year bow hunting and I shot a yearling last year with my bow just to prove to myself that I could kill something. It has done wonders for my confidence and now I plan on going after a bigger deer. Best of luck to you, sir!
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
User avatar
Newhunter
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621
Location: Kentwood, Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby Newhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:26 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:You showed dedication so far. That is awesome.

Do you think a local Park is an option for deer observation? If you can watch deer without the hunting pressure you can pick up on their tendencies. A tail flick is normally followed by a step or movement.

Another example is walking a safe distance from a deer and watch movement. If the winds are blowing towards the deer you will get a reaction when they scent you.

While hunting, the first priority will usually be edge related. Good edge to worry about is an interior edge since field edge is less likely to have daylight movement.

This site contains THE BEST HUNTING INFORMATION.


I can sit in the public land woods all day if I want, as long as I am not trying to take an animal out of season. For me, time is the issue. But I am certainly willing to give it a shot. Sounds fun, exciting and relaxing all at the same time.
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
User avatar
Newhunter
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:50 pm
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621
Location: Kentwood, Michigan
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: 2017 Going in blind

Unread postby Newhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:26 pm

NorthStar wrote:
Ack wrote:If you're still going for your first deer, there is no good reason why you need to hold out for a buck only. Get a doe or two under your belt and learn the motions of what it takes to actually kill a deer......any deer, and then move on to a buck. As mentioned, read and soak up as much info as you can here on the Beast and you should get on the right track. Good luck!


This is really solid advice. I am on my third year bow hunting and I shot a yearling last year with my bow just to prove to myself that I could kill something. It has done wonders for my confidence and now I plan on going after a bigger deer. Best of luck to you, sir!


Thank you NorthStar
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/


  • Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mkelemen and 17 guests