How to stay cool opening weekend?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swwave24

How to stay cool opening weekend?

Unread postby swwave24 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Hey all,

Here's a question that isn't talked about much. We always talk about how to stay warm during the rut and late season. What are tips, clothes, etc. could be used in the early season to keep cool? In typical beast fashion, walking several miles to stand locations and struggle keeping cool, especially in marshes. I do the common sense things of staying hydrated, talking breaks to the stand, and wearing light clothing, any thoughts of any thing that could improve the situation? Such as base layers or breathable clothing...

Thanks!

Dewey

Re: How to stay cool opening weekend?

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm

If it's real warm and your hunting marshes it doesn't matter how light you dress because you will likely be a sweaty mess before you even get set up. Just gotta tough it out and keep pushing on. I bring plenty of water to stay hydrated and a Thermacell to battle the always present skeeters.

I like to wear very thin loose fitting clothing. Under Armour Heat Gear breathable top with Predator Adrenaline pants. These are so thin it almost feels like your wearing nothing and slightest breeze blows right thru to keep you cool. Best part is they never feel wet as they dry almost immediately.

I get a kick out of some people who try to be scent free in hot weather hunting marshes and swamps.....it's just not possible. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:56 pm

I wear those cheap head and wrist sweat bands. It doesn't keep u any cooler but keeps me from constantly moving wiping sweat out of my eyes
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:16 pm

I have a camelback hydration bladder backpack, between my back and the bladder I keep a ziplock baggie mixed of 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 3 cups water, when you freeze it it will not freeze solid due to the rubbing alcohol, but will remain ice cold for nearly 24 hours and keep the water in the bladder cold as well. Placing it between you and the bladder will keep you cool as well.
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 pm

First off, you will most likely sweat. Just so you're prepared. I like the dri-fit type t-shirts. They work best for me. Stay away from cotton, it will just get wet and stay wet. Pants are tough, especially if you're wearing hip boots. The thinner the better. I just use army fatigues.

You could always pack another shirt, for once you're set-up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 am

Sweat. Sweat, and more sweat. I'm soaked before I get 200yds from the car. I bring water, wear a pair of camo jeans, similar t-shirt, hat, I wear an outer camo layer in marsh monster pattern. But put that on before I climb tree. Play the wind. Thermo cell and a bug headnet
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:28 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I wear those cheap head and wrist sweat bands. It doesn't keep u any cooler but keeps me from constantly moving wiping sweat out of my eyes

Sold. I was walking out of the woods yesterday thinking I need one.

Newhunter wrote:I have a camelback hydration bladder backpack, between my back and the bladder I keep a ziplock baggie mixed of 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 3 cups water, when you freeze it it will not freeze solid due to the rubbing alcohol, but will remain ice cold for nearly 24 hours and keep the water in the bladder cold as well. Placing it between you and the bladder will keep you cool as well.

Great tip w the baggy though im going to research for something more trust worthy. One of those popped bags wouldn't be fun I assume. Im intrigued and going use it for summer scouting trips for sure.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:59 am

the guys pretty much have the bases covered in terms of what to wear... I would also say to give yourself extra time so you can walk slow and access your stand slowly, take a break on the way in, etc..helps you to keep cool and also make less noise
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:53 am

Jungle boots instead of rubber boots. Lots of water, and a thermacell. Oh and the thinnest merino wool shirt I have, and a thin pair of pants.

I know I am going to get wet early season. Either from sweating or water. I just want a way to cool down in my stand, and be comfortable for the hunt.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:23 am

Just being mentally prepared for the heat, sweat, and uncomfortable feeling is huge. Bringing an extra shirt to change into helps.

Does anyone have any lightweight pants they can recommend? I mostly just wear jeans and change into something when I get to my tree...
fireforeffect

Unread postby fireforeffect » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:06 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Just being mentally prepared for the heat, sweat, and uncomfortable feeling is huge. Bringing an extra shirt to change into helps.

Does anyone have any lightweight pants they can recommend? I mostly just wear jeans and change into something when I get to my tree...

The pants that zip off at the knees are really lightweight and comfortable. I wear them kayaking and don't even zip them off. They dry very quickly as well. I got mine at Bass Pro.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 am

I wear my Fonzie Leather Jacket with nothing else...

Aaaayyyy! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:13 am

Newhunter wrote:I have a camelback hydration bladder backpack, between my back and the bladder I keep a ziplock baggie mixed of 1 cup rubbing alcohol and 3 cups water, when you freeze it it will not freeze solid due to the rubbing alcohol, but will remain ice cold for nearly 24 hours and keep the water in the bladder cold as well. Placing it between you and the bladder will keep you cool as well.

Aslo w the water bladder, fill it to the top w ice first then cold water. Makes for ice cold drinks most of the day. The best part is open the spicket and drip the cold water on your head makes for a fast cool down.

PS - they sell tactical water bladders that are small, .5 liter. I havent purchased one yet bc they are $50 or more.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks for all the feed back, will defiantly be using some of these ideas!
Newhunter
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/newhunter621

Unread postby Newhunter » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:00 am

Darkknight54 wrote:

Aslo w the water bladder, fill it to the top w ice first then cold water. Makes for ice cold drinks most of the day. The best part is open the spicket and drip the cold water on your head makes for a fast cool down.

PS - they sell tactical water bladders that are small, .5 liter. I havent purchased one yet bc they are $50 or more.

Never thought about that Darkknight54. Nice tip!!
I am who I am, like it, love it or leave it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130948647591174/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”