invisible marking paint

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
sureshotscott

invisible marking paint

Unread postby sureshotscott » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 am

Have access to a small parcel of private land, unfortunately so do a lot of other guys. I'd like to buy something in a spray can that's not visible during daylight but is visible under the RED light of my headlamp so I can mark a trail. Any ideas?

Clink

Re: invisible marking paint

Unread postby Clink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:31 am

I think your best bet is to just really learn the area well. Then you should have no problem in the dark.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:34 am

I know you said it's a small parcel but using the track feature zoomed way in on a gps works great for this. The bonus is no paint needed that others may see if they use a headlamp as well.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 am

Or do something really small that is hard to notice. Cut a branch off and make a little nock in it. Something that you wouldn't ever find unless you are looking for it and know its there. One hunter in my area uses a machete and cuts a chunk of bark off the size of a quarter off a tree. Once I saw it once, I find it everywhere. Eventually saw the guy once and brought it up.
"Get busy living or get busy dying"
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am

The problem with that is unless you do it at ground level you have to use a light shining through the trees as you go to your stand. You are much better off learning the area and the trail to your stand so the only light you need to show is on the ground in front of you so you don't stumble over anything, or no light at all if you have a good moon. Leaving a marked trail, be it surveyors tape, a blaze on a tree, tacks that glow in the light of a flashlight will lead other hunters to the area you hunt and it what novices do because they don't want to get lost in the dark.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 am

The only marking I do is the tree I am using. I mark "my" trees at stand height with 4 evenly spaced tacks used to hold one wrap of surveyors tape.

IME Most people don't look up.

I have a friend who who was going to set up a hang on in an area where I have previously hunted. He got all set up and was setting up shooting lanes and saw my ribbon on a tree about 4 yards from his set up. It was pretty funny. We met back at the truck and he was telling me about the mysterious ribbon on a tree 25' up and I laughed. It is a good spot for "freezer filler" and quite a few deer have been shot out of those trees.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Haven't heard of anything like you are looking for. I only know of the tacks but those will show up in daylight and like others have mentioned you still run the risk of others finding them with their headlamps as well. A good gps is a safe bet especially if you know the land well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”