Am I on the right track?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Am I on the right track?

Unread postby Kane0928 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:58 pm

I have just realized one of my go to and all time favorite hunting spot was a beast set up and was clueless. After some scouting I found where I normally set up is about 75 -100 yards from a buck bed. It's a early season set up I can only hunt it with success the first week after that the neighboring property put too much pressure on the area. The scenario the buck beds on the leeward side of the ridge on a bench on the 1/3 elevation. He would most predictably bed there on a west wind to have it come over his back perfectly. He then travels south on the bench to a open oak flat at the top of a finger ridge. I always hunted the oaks. But would the best way to hunt this is on the downward side of the bench so the thermals would pull down the hill by the time he gets to me. Ive either had hit or miss with this spot during the first week. Any opinions would be appreciated.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Am I on the right track?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 am

I think most hunting spots that have had success on mature bucks repeatedly outside of rut are set up "beast style" they just don't know it... Bucks only move so far from bedding and they are not traveling as far as some think to get to there stands.

Knowing where he is bedding and coming from certainly helps you set up closer to the bed and have more success. Outside of rut, its hard to say without looking at it exactly where your stand should be. Your own observations from that spot would be the best judge.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:50 am

If the buck is heading south to the oak flat. I would set-up to the south between the bed and oak flat? On the downwind side of the trail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I had my first beast kill with a similar scenario. I dropped in from the opposite ridge as the thermals dropped. I crossed a creek and walked just below a main trail leading to an oak flat on a neighboring property. I positioned myself about 150 yards away from his bed. His bed was on the edge of a pine thicket. He came fast thru the pines an hour before dark...shot him at 15 yards from the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”