Ridge access?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OHBB24

Ridge access?

Unread postby OHBB24 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 am

I have a big ridge that sets up well for N, NW, Sw, and west wind. The property line is on top about 100 yards east of the ridge top. Access seems tricky, does anyone walk the ridge top and drop into a saddle? I'd have to walk a good half mile along the ridge top to get to this bug saddle. I could access from bottom but it's old strip mine and extremely steep. The access points all seem to be deer access points due to high walls.

Jeff25

Re: Ridge access?

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:48 am

I did this once last year on a rut hunt. There was a logging road that ran right down the ridge top almost back to where I hunted so I took it back about 2.25 miles then dropped down into a saddle. Only had one deer cross my path, most of the deer were traveling the wind tunnel though vs crossing through the saddle to the windward side.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:13 pm

I've had the best luck approaching my ridge stands at a right angle. Walking directly ontop of ridge is prob the easiest route but generally not the best option.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Barker

Unread postby Barker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Walking the ridge tops for me usually results in bumping bedded deer on the downwind side of the ridge. I'm still trying to get the hang of this myself. If the wind is parallel to the ridge top I seem to have decent luck slipping in on deer bedded off the points. I try to drop down the side of the ridge as far away from the ridge point as possible so my wind doesn't blow over the point where the deer are bedded.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:37 pm

I think it depends on where the deer are bedding. You need good knowledge of the area to come up with a plan for best access. Walking the ridge you risk being skylined or having your scent reach bedded deer. Coming up from the bottom deer may see you if leaf drop had occurred. If you don't know where they're bedding you may need to take your best guess and give it a try. Sometimes the best access isn't the easiest.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”